Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Squashfs how to?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2

    Squashfs how to?

    I was wondering what I need to edit to replace cloop with squashfs? I've built a kernel with squashfs support but what next?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: Squashfs how to?

    Quote Originally Posted by noob001
    I was wondering what I need to edit to replace cloop with squashfs? I've built a kernel with squashfs support but what next?
    Firmsy told here in another tread that he's going to do a howto of replacing cloop to squashfs. Just wait until he has time to do that


    But something to ponder. If you want to use squashfs to make bigger KNOPPIX image than 2 gig, I have news for you. Believe it or not but cloop device don't have that 2 gig limit if you change some things in minirt.gz's linuxrc file.

    If you change test -f to test -r in linuxrc, that's it! At this time I have 2066 MB /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX image and it boots fine. Hope that someone could tell me, why is this. But anyhow, it works!

    -tapsa-

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    140
    Tr
    Wow. Can you explain that in a little more detail?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    140
    tapsa
    I'm still working on a 3.7 remaster Do you think it will still work? I found several instances of test -f. Mostly related to scsi. Or is it time to start over on the remaster with a new version of KNOPPIX.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by nvgringo
    I'm still working on a 3.7 remaster Do you think it will still work?
    Why not? Knoppix 3.7 didn't use unionfs by default. With Debian it is not so important what version you have if you do apt-get dist-upgrade. My version has been Debian unstable and only minor troubles has been along the way. Changing from my X.org 6.9 to X.org 7.0 was solved by Kanotix's scripts - thanks to Kano for his excellent work.

    But if you are not in a hurry, wait until Knoppix 5.0.1 is released and use it as a base in your remasterings. It makes your life little easier In there is also that 'test 'r' used instead of 'test -f'.

    I noticed that 2 gig limit can be exceeded in my own remastering because my KNOPPIX image was little over 2048 MB and I forget to check that - and couldn't boot with my old minirt.gz using my old linuxrc. It didn't boot because 2 gig limit was exceeded. But I had also some testing minirt.gz files - one was using linuxrc from Knoppix 5.0 and it booted! Then I compared those two linuxrc files with 3diff3 and noticed that difference in using test program. Changing -f to -r solved my 2 gig limit problem! Now my KNOPPIX image is about 2.2 gig and I can install new programs without thinking that 2 gig limit!

    Here's an example using 'test 'r':
    Code:
    if test -r /cdrom/$KNOPPIX_DIR/$KNOPPIX_NAME; then
    echo -n "${CRE} ${GREEN}Accessing KNOPPIX ${MEDIUM} at ${MAGENTA}$i${GREEN}...${NORMAL}"
    FOUND_KNOPPIX="$i"
    -tapsa-

Similar Threads

  1. boot remaster with squashfs
    By nvgringo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 01:12 AM
  2. KNOPPIX und Squashfs
    By borgelite in forum German Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-05-2006, 10:19 AM
  3. squashfs boot problem
    By borgelite in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 05:18 PM
  4. Help with squashfs please
    By JeffElkins in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 08:22 AM
  5. remaster knoppix with squashfs
    By wangji in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 09:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$16.41



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99