-
hard drive partitioning error
Wow I'm sure evryone is pumped to see another newbie posting an issue about a hard drive partioning debacle
here's my issue:
I am trying to install knoppix 4.0.2 onto my hard drive
i ran sudo knoppix-installer
hard drive rqmn'ts were not met
i HAD one big primary partition formated as an ntfs
i deleted it using qtparted and commited...
then i tried to create one big extended partition containing 4 logical drives...i marked the first as bootable
after committing i rebooted and now i am unable to access the /dev/hda using qtparted, cfdisk, or fdisk
critical error when trying to read the partition table with any of these programs....
have i rendered my hard drive useless??
if not...how can i start over??
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I doubt very much that your hard drive is useless, although that nasty ntfs partition may well be gone.
There is really no reason to use all of the drive for only an extended partition, I would certainly suggest creating some real partitions there and only making an exteded partition if you are going to run out of physical partitions, which you would not as you described things.
As to tools to use, they depend somewhat on what you plan to do with that hard disk. qtparted is a problem for many (I don't use it so can't really give advice on it). There are other partitioning tools that you could try, including the fdisk on Knoppix. Personally I wuld use Ranish from Windows or even a DOS floppy, but that's just because I like Ranish. And if the goal is to get Linux installed and bootable from the hard disk then I would just use the tools in the Etch hard disk network installer. If you are asking how to install Knoppix to this hard disk, sorry, that is a mistake that I don't help people make.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Also, if you have an old bootable DOS floppy around you might try the fdisk on that. And you may need the special command fdisk /mbr to repair the master boot record. Beyond that I'm not clear on why fdisk in Knoppix can't see the hard disk, but be sure to try a complete power down and the reboot Knoppix, don't just try using fdisk in the same Knoppix session after using qtparted.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By cha0sunity in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-04-2010, 11:34 PM
-
By cmj33875 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-01-2009, 01:31 AM
-
By vierdreieins in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-11-2006, 05:52 AM
-
By bread in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-27-2006, 04:27 AM
-
By jc01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-29-2003, 03:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HYNIX HMA82GR7DJR8N - XN 3200AA 16GB 288 Pin RDIMM DDR4 Memory
$105.00

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)
$36.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

16GB Total of SK hynix PC3L-12800S 2 sticks of 8GB each = 16GB Laptop Memory
$27.95

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB
$124.95

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW
$1.39

Microsoft Windows 11 Home 64-Bit USB Flash Drive + Key Retail Box - Original
$39.98