I've jumped to fluxbox, and it's only sort of working. Here's what I mean:
To remaster and set up the XWindows/fluxbox settings I boot with 'knoppix 2' then mount nad chroot to the source/KNOPPIX directory and everything works. When I'm done I copy the changes to /etc/skel . Restart, and everything is as I left it.
The problem comes in when I make the iso, and try to boot with 'knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hdb5/knoppix.iso" Note, not in runlevel 2. XWindows fails to start automagically. When I start it with "startx" fluxbox starts but the system freezes soon after, and it's not using my background or menu. I can get to a vt, and check the files, and they look like the old .fluxbox directory (but I coppied over them in /etc/skel ) I don't get where it's getting tese files from.
Any help would be appreciated.

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00
Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested
$35.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99
Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
Intel Core i5-8500 SR3XE 3.00 GHz 6-Core CPU
$2999.00
Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD
$27.99
Intel Core i5-8400 SR3QT 2.8GHz CPU Processor
$39.99