I have Knoppix 4.0.2 with Kernel 2.6.12 from CD on my PC and try to access a 2.5" USB Harddisk in an IDE-USB adapter case. So far I am not able to identify a suitable device in /dev. cat /proc/partitions just shows my two SCSI harddisks and their partitions, nothing more.
Googling provided some clues:
In order for the USB disk to be recognized as a mountable block device, the modules usbcore, usb_ohci (or usb_uhci) and usb_storage must be loaded. No problem with usbcore and usb_storage, both are loaded OK.
usb_uhci and usb_ohci cannot be loaded, however.
Both modprobe usb-ohci and modprobe usb-uhci fail with the message FATAL: modul usb_* not found.
To confuse me further, still, I found some forum posts stating that the 2.6.x-kernels are not supposed to have/need those two modules anymore.
So, here is my questions:
What am I supposed to do in order to have my usb disk recognized as a mountable block device?
Where do I get and how do I integrate the missing modules?
Thanks, Ralf

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99
Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed
$42.00
Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop
$42.99