Hi all,
Before remastering my own knoppix, I am trying to extract the KNOPPIX file through the use of cloop.ko.
I am using Debian with kernel 2.6.16 patched with beyond3 patch set:
1. download the 2.6.16 source from http://www.kernel.org
2. patch it with the beyond3 patch from http://iphitus.loudas.com/archck.php
3. make-kpkg provided in Debian with gcc 4.1
4. install the generated deb fileCode:gcc (GCC) 4.1.0 (Debian 4.1.0-1+b1) Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Then I downloaded the cloop 2.02.1 source file from the debian's package page:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/ma...1+eb.10.tar.gz
The cloop module was compiled without problems:
and install without problem as well:Code:# make module make modules -C /lib/modules/2.6.16-beyond3-1-686/build M=/cvs3/cvs/modules/cloop-2.02.1+eb.10 KERNELRELEASE=2.6.16-beyond3-1-686 make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16-beyond3' CC [M] /cvs3/cvs/modules/cloop-2.02.1+eb.10/compressed_loop.o /cvs3/cvs/modules/cloop-2.02.1+eb.10/compressed_loop.c: In function 'uncompress': /cvs3/cvs/modules/cloop-2.02.1+eb.10/compressed_loop.c:166: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness /cvs3/cvs/modules/cloop-2.02.1+eb.10/compressed_loop.c:168: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness LD [M] /cvs3/cvs/modules/cloop-2.02.1+eb.10/cloop.o Building modules, stage 2. MODPOST CC /cvs3/cvs/modules/cloop-2.02.1+eb.10/cloop.mod.o LD [M] /cvs3/cvs/modules/cloop-2.02.1+eb.10/cloop.ko make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16-beyond3'
However, when I tried to modprobe the module, it gave me a FATAL error:Code:# make install-module /usr/bin/make modules -C /lib/modules/2.6.16-beyond3-1-686/build M=/cvs3/cvs/modules/cloop-2.02.1+eb.10 KERNELRELEASE=2.6.16-beyond3-1-686 make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16-beyond3' Building modules, stage 2. MODPOST make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16-beyond3' /usr/bin/make modules_install -C /lib/modules/2.6.16-beyond3-1-686/build M=/cvs3/cvs/modules/cloop-2.02.1+eb.10 KERNELRELEASE=2.6.16-beyond3-1-686 make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16-beyond3' INSTALL /cvs3/cvs/modules/cloop-2.02.1+eb.10/cloop.ko make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16-beyond3' #depmod -a
From the dmesg:Code:# modprobe cloop FATAL: Error inserting cloop (/lib/modules/2.6.16-beyond3-1-686/extra/cloop.ko): Invalid argument
I thought that the argument ``file`` became optional long time ago. And I am wondering what is the cause of it ?Code:"cloop": falsely claims to have parameter file
- Could it be the compiler ? Maybe gcc 4.1 is too new...but other modules (ndiswrapper, cdemu, cdfs, madwifi all ok...)
- Could it be the beyond patch ? The last 2.6.16 kernel I patched with beyond2 worked well with the cloop module
Thanks in advanced.

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43
Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49
Intel® Integrated RAID Mezzanine Module RMS3HC080 SAS/SATA H24093-204
$24.97