I have Knoppix 4.0.2 with Kernel 2.6.12 from CD on my PC and try to access a 2.5" USB Harddisk in an IDE-USB adapter case. So far I am not able to identify a suitable device in /dev. cat /proc/partitions just shows my two SCSI harddisks and their partitions, nothing more.
Googling provided some clues:
In order for the USB disk to be recognized as a mountable block device, the modules usbcore, usb_ohci (or usb_uhci) and usb_storage must be loaded. No problem with usbcore and usb_storage, both are loaded OK.
usb_uhci and usb_ohci cannot be loaded, however.
Both modprobe usb-ohci and modprobe usb-uhci fail with the message FATAL: modul usb_* not found.
To confuse me further, still, I found some forum posts stating that the 2.6.x-kernels are not supposed to have/need those two modules anymore.
So, here is my questions:
What am I supposed to do in order to have my usb disk recognized as a mountable block device?
Where do I get and how do I integrate the missing modules?
Thanks, Ralf

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121
$69.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
$849.00
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop
$29.99