Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: How does insmod know the arch? [solved]

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    3

    How does insmod know the arch? [solved]

    Hi folks,

    I've been reading the HOWTOs and many posts in this forum but I haven't found how to solve my problem.

    I need a i586 Knoppix, for that reason I decided to recompile the kernel. After that, I recompiled cloop, unionfs, modutils and busybox. I also moved all the new modules needed to the initRAMFS.
    When I try to boot from the new iso I get:

    Code:
    insmod: error inserting 'cloop.ko': -1 Invalid module format
    Using busybox I found out that Knoppix is expecting i386 modules

    Code:
    dmesg
    cloop: version magic '2.6.12 SMP preempt 586 gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.12 SMP preempt 386 gcc-3.3'
    Where does insmod get that should be from? I haven't found any file in initRAMFS where it says which is the arch.
    And, after mounting /proc, I found out that in kcore it says that my system is 2.6.12 SMP preempt 586 gcc-3.3

    What's wrong?

    Regards
    pfc

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    272

    Re: How does insmod know the arch?

    Quote Originally Posted by pfc
    Code:
    dmesg
    cloop: version magic '2.6.12 SMP preempt 586 gcc-3.3' should be '2.6.12 SMP preempt 386 gcc-3.3'
    The answer is very simple.
    You MUST compile modules with the same kernel version and with the same compiler version as you compiled the kernel. This means that you can't boot to your new kernel and compile modules from it. Of course you should test that new kernel works but go then back and compile the modules you need with your old kernel.


    -tapsa-

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    3

    Re: How does insmod know the arch?

    What you say, is what I did (I probably didn't expained very well).

    I recompiled the kernel and modules with the same kernel version and compiler. My new Kernel and modules are i586, but when I boot he asks me for i386 modules.

    pfc

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    3

    Re: How does insmod know the arch?

    Here is what I was doing wrong:
    As it says in the HOWTO I copied the vmlinuz-2.X.Y file to master/boot/isolinux, but I didn't realised that I had to overwrite the previous Kernel called 'linux'.

Similar Threads

  1. [Solved] Can Not Use DHCP
    By NoMansLand in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 04:18 PM
  2. No USB / Can't Load Modules / Odd insmod Behavior
    By c13 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 07:15 AM
  3. modprobe and insmod
    By wachka in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2005, 05:39 PM
  4. insmod & modprobe error
    By nishtya in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 11:45 AM
  5. How to insmod a driver module?
    By arkaine23 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2004, 02:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.75