Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix v3.8.2 completes booting devices, does not load

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix v3.8.2 completes booting devices, does not load

    I'm attempting to boot Knoppix v3.8.2 on a system with a GeForce FX 5500 video card, and updated drivers. My standard OS is Windows XP, service pack 2. I'm attempting to load from a CD. After the command prompt the devices load properly, but when the screen reloads, it generally goes blank, but every three or four seconds, I get what appear to be two parallel red lines that flicker for only a frame at a time. The lines are about 10% the width of the screen, and are centered. They may be some sort of error display, but I can't make them out for the life of me.

    I wrote the disk at 10x, used the checksum, and I've tried several "cheatcodes" based on advice in other threads:

    knoppix screen=1024x768 vsync 60

    and I've tried a couple vga options, but none seem to affect my problem.


    I hope I presented my situation well, thanks in advance for your help.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    You may wish to try the testcd cheat code, just to be safe (be advised that it can take a while and the screen saver may even kick in, if the screen goes blank type the shift key to get it back).

    Your post mentioned "updated drivers", but that is not meaningful here since those drivers only get used with XP, not Knoppix. It is the not source of the problem, however.

    It might help someone if they knew the hardware that you were booting on, both motherboard/cpu and memory as well as the monitor. And you might try both dma and nodma cheat codes (I forget which mode that version 3.8 defaulted to).

    You might also want to grab a current version by BitTorrent, burn it as slow as your system will support, and try again, while waiting to see if anyone else has any better answers.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2
    I tried the testcd cheat code, and it came up perfect, but the problem remains. Here's a bit more about my hardware:

    I have no idea what kind of motherboard it is, but "ACPI" comes up a lot on the resources. It's the motherboard that came stock with the computer. I have a gig of ram, and the monitor is an eMachines flat screen that came with the PC. I really don't know what other relavant information I can give . Like I said, I get what appear to be two red (or maybe maroon) bars running horizontally parallel across the screen (my previous estimate was off, they take up about 70% of the width). I only catch a snapshot of them every few seconds (irregularly), and no buttons I push do anything at all.

Similar Threads

  1. wont load past autoconfiguring devices done
    By lenspades in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 05:38 PM
  2. knoppix will load, but after system starts, GUI wont load.
    By n()()dle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
  3. booting knoppix, blank screen at kernel image load
    By trotfox in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 08:21 PM
  4. While booting knoppix stall while configuring my devices
    By BeatFreak in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 04:37 PM
  5. how to make kdm to load up at default when booting up?
    By DimGR in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2004, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000 Computer w/Service Manual & DOS Disks Cov picture

Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000 Computer w/Service Manual & DOS Disks Cov

$275.00



VINTAGE FACTORY SEALED MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 4.0 CD-ROM - NEW RARE BLUE CD picture

VINTAGE FACTORY SEALED MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 4.0 CD-ROM - NEW RARE BLUE CD

$34.99



Vintage Apple Newton Connection Kit for Macintosh, Other Type picture

Vintage Apple Newton Connection Kit for Macintosh, Other Type

$125.00



Vintage Atari Portfolio 16-Bit PC Palmtop Computer - Retro Computing picture

Vintage Atari Portfolio 16-Bit PC Palmtop Computer - Retro Computing

$96.00



Vintage Paradise VGA Plus 16 ISA Video Card 1988 Western Digital PVGA1A TESTED picture

Vintage Paradise VGA Plus 16 ISA Video Card 1988 Western Digital PVGA1A TESTED

$89.99



Apple eMate 300 Newton Vintage Laptop w/ Original Box Manuals & Cables picture

Apple eMate 300 Newton Vintage Laptop w/ Original Box Manuals & Cables

$250.00



Toshiba T1000 Vintage Laptop PC, 1 power supplies, manuals, and original bag picture

Toshiba T1000 Vintage Laptop PC, 1 power supplies, manuals, and original bag

$119.99



Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used picture

Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used

$47.99