Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Persistent problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5

    Persistent problems

    Hi All,

    First of all I would like to say that I have been, for ages, downloading and looking into Linux as a viable desktop system to run since the introduction of XP validation for critical updates!
    Don't get me wrong, I have a bona fide copy of XP but installing a validation tool onto MY system when I spend hours updating programs to keep people out, seems a bit suspect to me....

    Then I found Knoppix!
    With a little searching on the net, I found a simple one-click speedtouch (my modem) configuration script and hey presto! been on here for days peering into this and that, having a go at the other...

    Knowing that my girlfriend would murder me if I got rid of XP (she doesn't really care too much for configuration scripts and the "funny way the folders are") I started on one of those 'Persistent Knoppix Images' on hda1, FAT file system, 1Gig in size.

    So being a totally new to the Linux thing (how many posts start with that!? ), everything works like dream, no problems until I come to start up the system the next day, where I get the messages telling me that the Knoppix.img was incorrectly unmounted and after the fixing process the remaining message tells me that there is 1.79% uncontiguous files on the image although the image is fixed. Several reboots present the same problem.

    So I have two questions which I cant seem to answer, I've tried searching through the forums but seem to get conflicting thoughts.

    I am not sure where to get a dump of the boot up text from the system either.

    Firstly, does anyone think that the image file would need defragging?
    Secondly, is the size of the image the underlying issue with the shutdown un-mounting sequence?

    Thanks all for you time and help on this one.

    Regards

    KnoppixKnut

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    110

    Non-Contigous - no worry

    The 1.79% says 18 files of every 1000 are not stored contiguously, (in one continous expanse of disk.) Not a problem unless you are very compulsive. I cannot easily get a windows system to that level.

    I am not sure about the shutdown. It may just be the way it is. Perhaps someone who uses persistant files can give you a response on that.

    Dick

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5

    Persistantly increasing

    Hey rcook,

    Thanks for the reassurance! the un-contiguous rating is at 3% at the mo, but Im starting to think that it could have something to do with the leftovers from my first experiments with apt-get...

    I think you're right though, couldnt get the MS down as far as that either even after defrag then defrag then defrag, repeat till fade...

Similar Threads

  1. Persistent Disk from USB causing mounting problems??
    By itmike in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 10:42 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 12:40 AM
  3. Persistent-Home problems (long + details)
    By AllParadox in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 06:17 PM
  4. persistent home
    By alpha_geek in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM
  5. persistent question
    By nodoz in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 06:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95