Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: USB flash drive mysteriously becomes read-only.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    19

    USB flash drive mysteriously becomes read-only.

    Hello. I am using Knoppix on a PC with no hard drive, just a 1GB SanDisk USB flash drive which mounts automatically as sda1. This flash drive does NOT have a read-only mode switch. Everything was working fine for a few days, but now I can't write to the flash drive any more. For example, if in BASH I enter...

    cd /mnt/sda1
    mkdir MyNewFolder

    ...then I get the message "cannot create directory 'MyNewFolder': - Read-only file system". Similar messages appear when attempting to save documents, etc.

    When I examine privileges with the command...

    ls -ld

    ...then I get "drwxrwxrwx 5 knoppix knoppix 16384 Dec 31 1969"

    Based on my very limited knowledge this looks like the flash drive should be writeable. Any pointer for the Linux newbie on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674

    Re: USB flash drive mysteriously becomes read-only.

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBuild
    Hello. I am using Knoppix on a PC with no hard drive, just a 1GB SanDisk USB flash drive which mounts automatically as sda1. This flash drive does NOT have a read-only mode switch. Everything was working fine for a few days, but now I can't write to the flash drive any more. For example, if in BASH I enter...

    cd /mnt/sda1
    mkdir MyNewFolder

    ...then I get the message "cannot create directory 'MyNewFolder': - Read-only file system". Similar messages appear when attempting to save documents, etc.

    When I examine privileges with the command...

    ls -ld

    ...then I get "drwxrwxrwx 5 knoppix knoppix 16384 Dec 31 1969"

    Based on my very limited knowledge this looks like the flash drive should be writeable. Any pointer for the Linux newbie on how to fix this will be greatly appreciated.
    Did you try to right-click in the /dev/sda1 desktop icon and enable the wite access ?
    If you type "mount" from a bash shell, do you have the "rw" flag or only "r" flag ?
    Are you sure that the root directory (/) is mounted as /dev/sda1 ?
    (use the "df" command from bash to check)
    Hope this helps,
    Gilles

Similar Threads

  1. USB Flash Drive
    By allanz in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 05:20 AM
  2. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  3. USB flash: read-only filesystem [SOLVED]
    By jounihat in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 06:17 PM
  4. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
  5. USB drive read-only
    By Keilaron in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 04:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE picture

Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE

$149.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



5 Grandstream DP720 DECT Cordless HD VoIP Telephone Handset + DP750 Base Bundle picture

5 Grandstream DP720 DECT Cordless HD VoIP Telephone Handset + DP750 Base Bundle

$249.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99