Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Help with cfdisk

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Eagle, WI
    Posts
    1
    I too am new to Knoppix and I need to install to a second hard drive. My XP has crashed and is not bootable but knoppix off the cd can see my files that I need to recover.I need to free up the cd drive to recover these files as windows needs to reformat the drive to reinstall. I have tried the hd install procedure posted elsewhere and am having problems with cfdisk. I have created a partition the full size of my drive as Linux and then have tried to create a swap partition but can't change the MB size? I need step by step instructions on creating these two partitions and then I hope the rest of the process will be self explanatory? Thanksjavascript:emoticon(%27%3A?')

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by douglas2
    I too am new to Knoppix and I need to install to a second hard drive. My XP has crashed and is not bootable but knoppix off the cd can see my files that I need to recover.I need to free up the cd drive to recover these files as windows needs to reformat the drive to reinstall. I have tried the hd install procedure posted elsewhere and am having problems with cfdisk. I have created a partition the full size of my drive as Linux and then have tried to create a swap partition but can't change the MB size? I need step by step instructions on creating these two partitions and then I hope the rest of the process will be self explanatory? Thanksjavascript:emoticon(%27%3A?')
    If you have the latest version (2003-05-03) you can use qtparted to resize the partition and create space for the swap. Otherwise you will need to run cfdisk one more time and delete the one large partition and create a small (256mb) partition for swap and another partition to hold your files for install.

    When you create the partitions do the swap first and enter the size and set the type to swap then create the second to use the rest of the drive as type linux then select it and enter on the bootable option.

Similar Threads

  1. cfdisk and partioning (I know there is already much about it
    By McGyver in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 10:25 PM
  2. How Do I setup cfdisk
    By chain in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 03:47 PM
  3. cFdisk
    By Mogiin in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 07:33 PM
  4. cfdisk-explanation
    By senorian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-20-2003, 03:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00



NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11 picture

NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11

$450.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$354.48



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$374.48



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Apple Mac Pro A1186-Xeon E5462-20GB DDR3 Ram 500GB HDD+1TB HDD+2TB HDD MacOS Yes picture

Apple Mac Pro A1186-Xeon E5462-20GB DDR3 Ram 500GB HDD+1TB HDD+2TB HDD MacOS Yes

$274.99