Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How do I renew my DHCP address?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunnyvale
    Posts
    7

    How do I renew my DHCP address?

    Does Knoppix have an equivilent to Windows "ipconfig /renew"? I have been having problems with wireless nic cards. Configuring a static IP, mask, DNS address and drfault gateway manually is a real pain. I tried downing the interface and then bringing it up again but that did not seem to work.

    Thanks,
    SKrall

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Hmm, how are you taking the interface down, I'm wondering if you've tried ifconfig ethx down/up or ifup/down. Any additional info regarding the network card, wireless router and version of knoppix might help as well.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunnyvale
    Posts
    7
    Here is the situation. I have Knoppix 4.0 and a DLink G650 wireless adapter. My home network is a cisco 800 router and a DLINK DWL-2200AP access point using a an ESS with WEP. In my neighborhood there is free wifi. When I start KWIFI, I get connected to the free wifi network. I am assigned an IP address in the 172 address space. I can surf just fine. When I use KWIFI manager or iwconfig to change the ESS to my ESS and add the key, I find that I still have the same 172 address. My network is a 10 network. How do I get this wireless card to submit a new DHCP request after is changes to a different ESS?

    My wireless card displays as eth0.
    I use.... ifconfig eth0 down to shut down the interface.
    When I use the "up" command I still have the 172 address.

    Thanks,
    SKrall

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Try using iwconfig instead of Kwifimanager: http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/iwconfig.8.html

    For some reason, Ive never had much luck with GUI wireless configurators.

    Regards..

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sunnyvale
    Posts
    7

    I found it

    pump -i eth0 ...... is the Knoppix equivilent to Microsoft "ipconfig /renew"

Similar Threads

  1. DHCP on specific IP address range
    By chip.ling in forum Networking
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 01:24 AM
  2. CF card reader - renew of content
    By Saurus in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2005, 10:30 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 07:46 PM
  4. network card boot-up problem, doesn't get dhcp address
    By J0hnP1pe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
  5. Can't pull an IP address via DHCP
    By bertocci in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 09:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R750 2x Xeon Gold 6326 96GB 12x1.92TB SSD H755 Win 2022 picture

Dell PowerEdge R750 2x Xeon Gold 6326 96GB 12x1.92TB SSD H755 Win 2022

$4999.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$94.95