Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: cant boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    18

    cant boot

    Okay, IDK what the malfunction is!
    My friend at a LUG meeting gave me the recent Knoppix DVD (can't rmbr the version right now, just know its the latest stable (not 5)).
    Anyways, in one of my CD drives, it doesn't work at all, it just boots right on by without a prompt at all and reads the hard drive. In the other drive, it gets the install screen. If I just hit enter, it loads up, but my monitor goes out of range .. ugh! So I tried "knoppix vsync=60 hsync=60" -- now, a couple lines through the boot its giving me a message that it failed to insert cloop or something rather (I don't have it in front of me right now sorry!). Same if I try "knoppix vga=0"

    Can anyone help?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: cant boot

    Quote Originally Posted by mbgb14
    Anyways, in one of my CD drives, it doesn't work at all,....
    I hope that you intended to say "Anyways, in one of my DVD drives, it doesn't work at all,...".

    The "failed to insert cloop or something rather" message sounds to me like a bad burn (we frequently see this type of thing when the disc has been burnt at a high speed). I'm not certain of that because I would not have expected the system to get far enough to get into the scrambled video mode if it had the failed to insert cloop or something rather error, but such errors can be pretty flakey, you might get it some times and get other errors on other boot attempts. My suggestion would be to use the Get Knoppix link near the top of this page and download a new ISO with a BitTorrent client, read the downloading faq all the way through, and burn a new copy at a slow speed. You might want to start with the CD ISO rather than the DVD ISO, that way your have a more universally useful Knoppix CD and if it turns out that your DVD is OK you'll have both (you can always get the DVD later if you do need a better burnt copy). You very likely may still need the cheat code to get your monitor to work right, but you should not see the failed to insert cloop or something rather error on a good burn.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    18
    Thanks, this is also what I suspected. Is there any way to verify the DVD to see if the burn is good?

    Also, whenever I launch QTParted, the machine completely hangs. From the live or the HDD. It makes it impossible to partition the drive.
    Sounds like bad-burnism to me!

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by mbgb14
    Thanks, this is also what I suspected. Is there any way to verify the DVD to see if the burn is good?
    The testcd cheat code (maybe it's been changed to testdvd but I don't know that for sure) might help, but the real problem is likely that this is not a hard failure that would be easy to detect, just a marginal one. By the way, testcd can let the screen saver time out even on a CD, so on a bad DVD this is extremely likely, if the screen goes blank use the shift key to get it back.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbgb14
    Also, whenever I launch QTParted, the machine completely hangs. From the live or the HDD. It makes it impossible to partition the drive.
    Sounds like bad-burnism to me!
    You lost me here, how are you running QTParted if you can't boot? And I only care about from the live disc, if you have "installed" Knoppix to HDD then you are on your own. From what I have seen of others posting about it here QTParted is not the friendliest or safest of the partition tools though and I have not used it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



2 Sticks Of XPG GAMMINX 8GB DDR4 Ram - White picture

2 Sticks Of XPG GAMMINX 8GB DDR4 Ram - White

$55.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Smart 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-RJ1-11 ECC REG Server Memory SH4097RD420472SBV Tested picture

Smart 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-RJ1-11 ECC REG Server Memory SH4097RD420472SBV Tested

$172.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



5x MICRON 16GB 2RX8 PC4-2666V-RE1 Server Memory MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-2G6D1QI picture

5x MICRON 16GB 2RX8 PC4-2666V-RE1 Server Memory MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-2G6D1QI

$300.00



Lot of 12 SK Hynix 64GB PC4-2666V LRDIMM Server Memory RAM HMAA8GL7CPR4N -Tested picture

Lot of 12 SK Hynix 64GB PC4-2666V LRDIMM Server Memory RAM HMAA8GL7CPR4N -Tested

$4200.00



Lot of 52 Mix 16GB Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2KK DDR4 PC4-17000P-R Server Memory picture

Lot of 52 Mix 16GB Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2KK DDR4 PC4-17000P-R Server Memory

$3599.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00