Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: network card config

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    18

    network card config

    Hi
    Just loaded up the latest Knoppix DVD on my basement machine. It seems to be working okay.
    Except, I have to manually goto "Network Card Configuration" every time I boot up and tell it to fetch the data via DHCP.
    How can I make it do this automatically on boot?!

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    If by "the latest version" you mean the latest official version released to the Internet, 4.0.2, It does do that automatically. If it's not doing it for you then you should try to determine why not. I don't know of any other cases where it does not work but you can still do a simple netcardconfig after boot and it will work then. You didn't give us any information about your network, and it would likely take pretty extrnsive specs and details for anyone to spot what the issue might be.

    If you mean the unofficial 5.0 releases not posted by Klaus, then I don't know. I would certainly expect them to work this way too but can't be sure since I'm waiting for an official release. Maybe problems like this are what is delaying the 5.0 release.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    18
    By the latest official I mean the latest official stable DVD. The one that everyone can get to. Not 5.x series.

    The internet just doesn't work until I actually goto it and click yes to the "Is it DHCP?" prompt. Then its fine.

    Why is that???

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    See my above post, it is not that way for me. It might help if we had detailed network information; I want to know that more than I want to know that this computer is in the basement if I'm going to try to figure it out. But you may have to fool with it yourself a bit before you learn what it is.

    Suggestions:

    • If you have the needed hardware, sniff the wire with a packet sniffer like ethereal to see what is going on.

      If you are using a router, can you swap in a different router?

      Make sure that any previous DHCP lease has been given up before booting. Reset the router is need be.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    18
    I have about 10 computers. 4 are hooked wirefully to a DI-524, the others are wireless. This particular computer is 192.168.0.102, the router is 192.168.0.1

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    18
    Okay, just redownloaded the ISO (this time a CD instead of DVD) via BitTorrent - its version 4.0.2 -
    I just installed it on another totally seperate machine. Same thing. the internet completely doesn't work unless I goto network config - then it does a quick dhcp request and boom - its up.

    how can i make it do this automagically?!?!

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by mbgb14
    Okay, just redownloaded the ISO (this time a CD instead of DVD) via BitTorrent - its version 4.0.2 -
    I just installed it on another totally seperate machine. Same thing. the internet completely doesn't work unless I goto network config - then it does a quick dhcp request and boom - its up.

    how can i make it do this automagically?!?!
    It's a LIve CD. You installed it. The network not working is a very common problem. See answer #2.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    18
    I don't see anything about the network card not working :-/

    It *does* work, just not until I goto config - I just click yes to the dhcp button and then it works.

Similar Threads

  1. Help-New to Knoppix-Problem with Network card config
    By prashantr in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-18-2006, 04:49 PM
  2. Network card config on HDD install
    By swazi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 03:40 AM
  3. Knoppix 3.8 network card config locks up system
    By rgruhn in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 08:58 PM
  4. network card config changes with each boot
    By Joris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 03:44 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 05:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8048 5013995C PDP-11 LSI 11 ROM (B3)

$149.99



VINTAGE DEC DELNI-AA 8 PORT AUI THICKWIRE ETHERNET LAN INTERCONNECT IN COVERS. picture

VINTAGE DEC DELNI-AA 8 PORT AUI THICKWIRE ETHERNET LAN INTERCONNECT IN COVERS.

$95.00



6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips  picture

6 Vintage DEC Digital System Building Blocks - Flip Chips

$125.00



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC Digital Rainbow Drive Controller PC100 RD51 CNTLR picture

Vintage DEC Digital Rainbow Drive Controller PC100 RD51 CNTLR

$69.99



Vintage DEC Digital M8153 RH70 UNIBUS CONTROL-BCT (B15) picture

Vintage DEC Digital M8153 RH70 UNIBUS CONTROL-BCT (B15)

$139.99