Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: DOS WIN32 customized Knoppix?

  1. #1
    Darkehorse
    Guest

    DOS WIN32 customized Knoppix?

    Hi,

    Let me first say I am very new to Linux. If not for Knoppix, I would never have stumbled into the wonderful world of Linux (I am an old time Unix user though). I love Knoppix, and I would like to use it for recovery of Windows / DOS systems. However, it is missing some key elements that I'd like to have. These are:

    DOSEmu
    Samba Server to connect to an NT Domain.
    An I386 emulator package such as BOCHS or VMWare.

    With that being said, it has a lot of things I DON'T need for this purpose. In reality, I could get by without a lot of the bells & whistles (stuff like open office, gimp, games, movie players). All I really need is the internet capability, KDE Desktop, file management, mounting of the windows volumes, A file editor, CD ROM burning software and the options mentioned above.
    I have looked at the FAQ for customizing your own Knoppix distro, and I have to admit it is WAY beyond my current ability. Other than just continiuing to play with Linux until I can do the customization, can anyone else recommend some alternatives for me?

    Thanks,
    Darke

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    75

    Awesome ideas...

    I am another person who REALLY needs dosemu and VMware. i am thinking about writing an instruction for beginners on how to re-master the knoppix CD from the knoppix CD.

    please read the faq in the general support section called:

    [poll] putting stuff on your M$ c: drive and some pitfalls...

    to see if you like the writing style and let me know if you would like an faq about re-mastering.

    thx!

    Oh and please vote on it too!

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    73
    i guess this is kinda sacreligious, but Cool Linux is another live cd that has VMWare included...

  4. #4
    russ hancox
    Guest

    This is also sacreligious

    This too is sacreligious but Cool Linux is better than knoppix for two reasons :

    1) The ability to save config on a second session of original cd, you burn the original iso as first session, do some configuring, save a file then burn this as a config file on a second session (maybe you should include this knoppix, it's a brilliant idea)

    2) VMWARE!!!!! (i dunno how they included this without breakin the law, vmware isn't free, but non-the-less who pays for software nowadays!)

    HEY KLAUS, as soon as knoppix has both of the above, i'll come back to knoppix!!

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    73
    Well, im not sure if vmware is gpl'ed, but knopper is sticking with totally gpl'ed software, nothing else. vmware has a trial version, so i think thats what they have.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    35
    Please see the following for the authoritative statement on the restrictions for packages in order to be included with a Knoppix distro (question 3):

    http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN.txt


    Thank you, Klaus

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Is DOSEMU to DOS apps as WINE is to Windoze apps? OK, this would be interesting as I was trying to use WINE to run QBASIC which is a DOS app....

    Also, it would be interesting if Klaus left enough room for knoppix.sh on the CD for a 2nd burn!

    In fact, maybe he could make a version with say 100MB free so it would be easier to remaster without removing anything?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    BTW, anyone have success burning to a CD-RW? I can burn KNOPPIX CD-Rs fine, but not CD-RWs! I have a CD-RW drive and use Easy CD Creator 4.

    TIA,

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    13

    Knoppix vs CoolLinux

    So I heard about CoolLinux and I thought I'd try it. My first impression? There is nothing that "Cool" about it.

    I would have been impressed, if I had never seen something like Knoppix.

    The autodetection/autoconfiguration of Knoppix is far superior. Everything is automatic. CoolLinux requires too much input.

    Like I said, CoolLinux would have been impressive to someone who has never seen Knoppix.

    Yes, CoolLinux does come with VMware, but it still requires a license key!

    As far as saving a configuration on a second burn -- I think that Knoppix has a better option: Knoppix Persistent Home
    The Knoppix persistent home files go into the Knoppix CD in the knoppix directory -- a simple reburn, with no complicated remastering scripts. You just copy the contents of the CD to your HDD, add the two files, and burn a bootable CD using the floppy image (boot.img) in the Knoppix directory to make it bootable.

    Of course you can also just put the files on a floppy disk and boot with the "floppyconfig" option.

    This allows you to create a persistent home directory on the machine, in which you can save your custom settings. This also saves you the trouble of burning a whole new CD every time you decide to make a small configuration change.

    Knoppix has far more software and configuration options, documentation, and lots of helpful people to assist you with customizing your own version of Knoppix. I just made my own knoppix mini-CD, based on knoppix-lite. I have mozilla (with the java and flash plugins), frozen-bubble, ace-of-penguins, rdesktop, xvncviewer, smbclient, ssh, gnome-terminal, gnome chess, chntpw, ethereal, etherape, and more all running on icewm with the knoppix background screen. All of the apps which I personally wanted to have on a CD that fits in my pocket! Try doing that with CoolLinux!

    *and* Klaus is always there to help if nobody else knows the answer to your questions!

    Thank you, Klaus

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I never quite got all the hoopla about KNOPPIX Persistent Home. Do you mena to tell me that you customize what you like and then reburn the CD with this info in a part of the CD that has not been burned yet??

    Regards,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Customized CD - problems with USB & PS/2 mouse
    By semolina in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 04:03 PM
  2. How to use X-Win32 for X-windows !
    By yangwawa in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 07:35 AM
  3. Problem while booting customized knoppix
    By ripper632 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 06:32 PM
  4. Novell-influenced Knoppix distro "Customized"
    By david_eliasson in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 08:11 PM
  5. Copying my customized /home/knoppix in boot time
    By archtron in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2003, 05:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Digital Movie Poster (USB-flash drive) picture

Digital Movie Poster (USB-flash drive)

$100.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00