Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Installing standard debian kernel

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1

    Installing standard debian kernel

    Hello all,

    I would like to know how I can install a standard debian kernel over
    my knoppix installation. Precently I have vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs installed as
    it comes with knoppix 3.2

    However, I would like to install a kernel from the debian unstable distr. that is compiled for my AMD k7 processor. I installed the package with apt-get, and updated lilo.conf accordingly. At boot I now get the following error:

    > cat: No file proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev.
    > /linuxrc: cannot create proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev: directory
    > nonexistant VFS: Cannot open root device "hda5" or 03:05
    > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

    What am I doing wrong, and what should I do to get all packages (or just the kernel) in line with debian unstable?

    Regards,

    Bert Haverkamp

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    Re: Installing standard debian kernel

    Quote Originally Posted by brjhaverkamp
    Hello all,

    I would like to know how I can install a standard debian kernel over
    my knoppix installation. Precently I have vmlinuz-2.4.20-xfs installed as
    it comes with knoppix 3.2

    However, I would like to install a kernel from the debian unstable distr. that is compiled for my AMD k7 processor. I installed the package with apt-get, and updated lilo.conf accordingly. At boot I now get the following error:

    > cat: No file proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev.
    > /linuxrc: cannot create proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev: directory
    > nonexistant VFS: Cannot open root device "hda5" or 03:05
    > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
    > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:05

    What am I doing wrong, and what should I do to get all packages (or just the kernel) in line with debian unstable?

    Regards,

    Bert Haverkamp
    You could try to do:

    apt-get install dash, then remake the initrd you are using ...

    cu

    Fabian

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1
    Hi,
    I have exactly the same situation here: installed knoppix on IBM ThinkPad T23 laptop, then upgraded to debian testing/unstable. Knoppix 2.4.20-xfs kernel works but debian's 2.4.20-686 does not - says it can't mount root filesystem. I use reiserfs on both /boot and / partitions. Does anybody know exact differences between Knoppix kernel and Debian kernel, please?
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by alexv
    Knoppix 2.4.20-xfs kernel works but debian's 2.4.20-686 does not - says it can't mount root filesystem. I use reiserfs on both /boot and / partitions. Does anybody know exact differences between Knoppix kernel and Debian kernel, please?
    The biggest difference is that the knoppix .config file (in /usr/src/linux) includes support for many modules (including reiserfs). I suggest copying that .config file and building a new kernel with your changes.

    Also, knoppix uses an initrd image to hold many modules before the root system is even mounted.

Similar Threads

  1. need help! problem installing Debian on Dell Dimension 3000
    By linweix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 02:31 AM
  2. Installing Debian Sid: A tale of glee
    By eco2geek in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 10:57 AM
  3. Problems installing debian package
    By quark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 07:21 PM
  4. Problems with installing 2.6.8-1 Debian Bin Kernel
    By Ylz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 09:24 AM
  5. installing debian packages.
    By gtgoku in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99