Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Apt-Get error

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6

    Apt-Get error

    I installed Knoppix to hard drive. Yep, I know not recommended, but I have no video with Debian). Reading about things, I came across the Apt-Get and see that among the first things I should do is an update. So, the command I use is: [sudo apt-get update] and off she goes. In a little bit, I start getting minor errors, and then a MAJOR one. I get: ERROR reading package lists, and get: Dynamic MMap ran out of room. Suggestions and ideas will be welcomed. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Apt-Get error

    Quote Originally Posted by DigidocTN
    I installed Knoppix .... Apt-Get ... update..... In a little bit, I start getting minor errors, and then a MAJOR one.......
    Yup, completely expected and just one of the reasons we recommend against installing Knoppix. My question is why would you think that this is an easier problem to resolve than your likely simple video problem? (After all, if Knoppix is Debian and Knoppix gives you video then there is no good reason why you can't get video with Debian, but there are good reasons why apt-get breaks things.)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    for the dynamic mmap
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...highlight=mmap

    for your problems, dont do a HD install
    Try Suse Linux, or Ubuntu or Fedora Core. Suse 10.1 is brand new as of May 11. Fedora Core is under 2 months old. Ubuntu will be shipping their new version in about 3 weeks. Any one of those will be better than a Knoppix install.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6
    >>My question is why would you think that this is an easier problem to resolve than your likely simple video problem? (After all, if Knoppix is Debian and Knoppix gives you video then there is no good reason why you can't get video with Debian
    --
    Well, I admit I am a beginner. I know how to install, and I do -not- know how to troubleshoot or repair a faulty video driver. The Knoppix works, and I can use it. I would seek advice on finding, downloading, and installing the correct video driver. I am struggling to learn how to use an editor from console mode. I guess those would be off topic for Knoppix, and should be posted in another forum. I guess I struggle to understand how Knoppix can identify and make the video work, yet the Debian cannot seem to do that. But thanks for educating me, I have lots to learn.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by DigidocTN
    Well, I admit I am a beginner. I know how to install, and I do -not- know how to troubleshoot or repair a faulty video driver.
    But here you are, trying to trouble shoot in a major way. Knoppix is a mix of different and incompatable Debian versions that are known to break when you do an update. This is just one of the key reasons so many of us advise against installing it. And I very much doubt if your video problem (with 2 different video cards) requires you to repair or install a different video driver into Debian. Debian works quite well with a wide range of video cards and should support the GUI on almost any VGA/SVGA compatable card. I don't have details on exactly what you did when you installed, and in any case the Knoppix hdd install forum is not the place to discuss that (it would likely be tolerated in the General Forum here, the Debian user forums (installation section) would be even a better place to get good support.)

Similar Threads

  1. ERROR" Error while trying to run xvier
    By explorer in forum Klik
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2005, 12:16 PM
  2. Xine error after doing a Upgrade, error posted. (resolved)
    By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
  3. mkisofs error: end request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy...
    By labrador in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 01:54 AM
  4. Partition-error (Table written but error while reading!!!)
    By Mad_Max_FX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 03:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco PWR-IE170W-PC-AC= Power Supply Module and cisco IE-200  picture

Cisco PWR-IE170W-PC-AC= Power Supply Module and cisco IE-200

$400.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply picture

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply

$200.00