-
Senior Member
registered user
JRE 1.5 not supported?
Hi All,
Hope you can help me. Its that time of year again for my AP Computer Science students. They just took all their AP exams and now I thought I'd do a final project with them on graphics.
The problem is that we are now using JDK 1.5.1 from java.sun.com and have trouble with viewing our applets (Graphical Apps run fine). Last year we did fine with JDK 1.4. Our applets ran fine from an *.html file on line when viewed in Konqueror or Mozilla. In JDK 1.4 we used to use java.awt.applet. Now in JDK 1.5, we're using javax.swing.JApplet. This new code compiles fine with javac and runs fine with appleviewer, but will not run in Konqueror or Mozilla!
BTW, JApplets run fine from my WimpDoze box! Sorry, I had to say it. For example:
ftp://ftp.baldwinschools.net/calcpag...gleApplet.html
Also, the older applets based on JDK 1.4 run in Konqueror and mozilla fine. For example:
ftp://ftp.baldwinschools.net/calcpag...unk/index.html
I'm thinking that the JRE plug-ins for both Konqueror and Mozilla that come on the KNOPPIX 4.0.2CD do not support JRE 1.5? If so, how do I remedy this with a minimum of fuss? BTW, I'm running hard disk installed so I could also install JDK 1.5.1 on my server for class.
TIA,
AJG
-
5.0.1
I don't have a solution to the path, however, the knoppix 5.0.1 has an appletviewer and the javac compiler can do your Rectangle applet and more!
-
Senior Member
registered user
I wonder if the 5.0 CD will be available soon and if it will have this java support?
Thanx,
AJG
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
I wonder if the 5.0 CD will be available soon
The CD was on the BitTorrent server last Friday, just a little after the DVD. I just talked to a friend who downloaded it today with BT in 20 minutes (he has a very fast pipe). I'm not sure about java though, but from the change log things look good:
Code:
- [CD] because of space reasons :-( , removed chromium, enigma, KDE-helpfiles, ruby, bison and some other development-related packages (we still have JAVA and C/C++, Perl, Python and PHP on the CD, in order to have an easy to set up LAMP system).
-
Senior Member
registered user
OK, but is this the standard java.sun.com jdk 1.5.1 or that Blackdown version? Blackdown was fine except when it came to doing graphics and applets....
Regards,
AJG
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
I have no clue, I don't do java.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
5.0.1 CD
my bad, I have the 5.0.1CD version
Well it's only this version
# java -version
java version "1.4.2_11"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_11-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_11-b06, mixed mode)
However, the java can do (Graphics g), applets, JOptionPane and listeners!
appletviewers and javac anywhere.
BTW, the appletviewer is here:
/usr/lib/j2se1.4-sun/bin/appletviewer
-
Senior Member
registered user
That's strange. Someone just gave me a copy of the 5.0 CD and javac -version returned and error. This tells me that the javac on the CD is still the blackdown version. Are you using the CD or the DVD? Try javac -version and see what you get for the JDK(you did java -version, that's the JRE).
BTW, can you run my sample JApplet (RectangleApplet) linked above with the 5.0 CD?
TIA,
AJG
Similar Threads
-
By eLp619 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-08-2006, 08:46 PM
-
By Kowood in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-01-2004, 03:12 AM
-
By NickC in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-19-2003, 06:47 PM
-
By qman_txun in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-14-2003, 12:56 AM
-
By charles in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-17-2003, 11:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$374.48

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00