Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Help-New to Knoppix-Problem with Network card config

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    3

    Help-New to Knoppix-Problem with Network card config

    Hi all,
    Im new to Knoppix and im using it just for testing purposes. My problem looks vry simple to me but its really sad tat ui cundt find a solution for sometme now. I wonder if its expcte behavior in Knoppix that the interfaces will go down (i mean wat we see in ifconfig) when we do a reboot of the Knoppix PC? I tried configuring eth0 and eth1 through the /etc/network/interfaces file but that didnt work either. After configuring i did a /etc/init.d/networking restart, but that did not help me. Between, I would not say Im doing it right, nd thats wat I want to know from the experts here.

    My question is :
    Like in Linux, would the interface be up once the knoppix box comes up after reboot. If not, wat we need to do to acheive this stuff.

    Please let me know if you may need more info. Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    3
    Hi thanks for the imediate response. I need more info. I have completd installation and knoppix is up and unning in my box. But my problem is with the interface. the interface goes down after a system reboot.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by prashantr
    I need more info. I have completd installation ....
    You posted this in the networking forum and never mentioned that you installed Knoppix. If you are running it as intended from a CD then my above advice is what I have to offer. If you have "installed" Knoppix, then my advice is that you are very lucky to have networking work at all, many people who "install" it find that networking is broken after an "install". I do not offer support for those who choose to "install" Knoppix. I am not qualified to do so. My advice is to install Debian, and you will likely find that Networking works as you would expect it to.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    3
    [quote="Harry Kuhman My advice is to install Debian, and you will likely find that Networking works as you would expect it to.[/quote]
    hey HArry,
    Tats may be wat I am luking for. Knoppix is up and running. I have problems with Netdude even. Hope Installing debian would solve my issues. Ive heard this word Debian. But how do I go about installing debian? is that gonna be over Knoppix, or do I need to do a re-install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Debian is the intened for hard disk distro of Linux that Knoppix is based on. To install Debian you will start fresh, it's not an "update" to Knoppix. There are different releases of Debian, both for different hardware and versions that represent how much testing the parts that make it up have had. I would suggest installing Debian Etch. This is sometimes called the "testing" version, but Knoppix contains a lot of the testing version too, and without any of the fixes that have been included since Knoppix was released. There is a "stable" version, but it's getting pretty old, and the installer is not as user friendly. You can start reading about Debian here, and you can download the files to get started with Etch here. As long as you have a high speed connection that you can use to install I would suggest the net-install (the top line of images offered) and if you have a "typical" computer use the I386 version (but note that there are special versions for 64 bit systems or other hardware).

  7. #7
    [quote=prashantr]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Harry Kuhman My advice is to install Debian, and you will likely find that Networking works as you would expect it to.[/quote
    hey HArry,
    Tats may be wat I am luking for. Knoppix is up and running. I have problems with Netdude even. Hope Installing debian would solve my issues. Ive heard this word Debian. But how do I go about installing debian? is that gonna be over Knoppix, or do I need to do a re-install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi, I am new here, but I am using a Knoppix variant called Kanotix. It runs nearly exactly the same as Knoppix from CD, but can be easily installed to HD. Once installed it becomes basically Debian Sid (Sid being the "unstable" version). This is exactly what I used, and my box works great. I haven't had any problems to speak of, and I am using ndiswrapper to get my wireless card on the net. Any way, I love Knoppix (I think, but don't know, that Kanotix is nearly the same as Knoppix).

    Hope this is helpful,
    Jeremey Byers

Similar Threads

  1. network card config
    By mbgb14 in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 05:55 PM
  2. Network card config on HDD install
    By swazi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2005, 03:40 AM
  3. Knoppix 3.8 network card config locks up system
    By rgruhn in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 08:58 PM
  4. network card config changes with each boot
    By Joris in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 03:44 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 05:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords picture

Commodore 128 C128 Computer FOR PARTS / REPAIR Untested Missing Key No Cords

$149.99



Commodore 64c Computer System picture

Commodore 64c Computer System

$550.00



 Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128  picture

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128

$79.99



TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded picture

TeensyROM+ TR+ v0.4 Cartridge for C64/128 - w/ Case & 32GB SD Preloaded

$89.50



Commodore 64/C64 23 Original Games (Untested /As Is ,no returns )Maniac Mansion  picture

Commodore 64/C64 23 Original Games (Untested /As Is ,no returns )Maniac Mansion

$115.00



Commodore SX-64 Personal Computer picture

Commodore SX-64 Personal Computer

$600.00



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller picture

Commodore 1541 Emulator PI1541 HAT with ROTARY, OLED screen, USA Seller

$29.99



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on picture

RARE Commodore MPS801 Printer - 1st printer for the 64 - powers on

$70.00