-
Speed up HDD boot
Hi
I successfully installed Knopix 4.0 on my HDD, but it takes a while to boot up. When it loads, it gives me a choice of 2 kernels:
1. 2.x.x.x Default
2. 2.x.x.x
(I can't remember the exact kernel that I have)
Also, I get the following message:
"You have passed an undefined mode number."
If I write boot:vga=normal, I don't get this error, and if I just continue everything works OK.
However, is there any way to skip these two small time-wasting decisions and set a default choice, because I have just switched from Windows but dislike the loading times. Otherwise Knoppix is a fantastic Distro with the only HDD install I can get to work!
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,
Oli
-
Senior Member
registered user
First, a HD install seems to be a great way to get Linux going on your PC but there are plenty of difficulties ahead. If you are a expert or are willing to put the time in to become somewhat of an expert, then it might be good for you to do a HD install. If you are a newbie and you do not want to spend hours fixing broken packages or getting network settings to behave as they should, then perhaps a HD install is not for you. See also http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Insta...g_not_to_do_it
Suse Linux just released its 10.1 on May 11. Fedora Core 5 was released under two months ago. Ubutnu Linux will have its 6.06 release in about 3 weeks. You can get free CDs shipped to anywhere in the world from https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ (this uses GNOME as the desktop) and https://shipit.kubuntu.org/ (this uses KDE as the desktop). Any one of the three distros will be a better long term solution when compared to a Knoppix HD install.
To apply the vga=normal as default so that it boots with it everytime, as root user, edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file and find where it says something like (not exact, this is an estimate):
Code:
title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.8-1
root (hd1,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-k7 root=/dev/hdg5 ro single vga=791
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-1-k7
savedefault
boot
Change the vga=791 or whatever value it is to vga=normal. Save it & reboot.
-
I had problems with other distros:
Ubuntu came up with different error mesages every time I tried to install it. Suse and Fedora Core need too many CDs. I used Knoppix because it installs on the HD, it is a popular distro and only needs 1 CD.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
oli888
I had problems with other distros.....
Knoppix is based on Debian, which you didn't mention. While there are as many as 14 Debian CDs in a set, you really only need or want the first one, or even better, just the 100 meg "net install" CD. The other Cs are all programs that are in the Debian package system, and as long as you have a high speed internet connection it is better to just apt-get what you want to install right of the Internet than burn and swap a bunch of CDs. The CDs 2-14, of course, are great if you are installing on systems without Internet access, but totally unneeded by most users. And, of course, a real Debian install will not have the known problems of a Knoppix "hard disk install".
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
-
Unfortunately I got the same errors for Debian as Breezy Ubuntu. I am going to try instaling Dapper Drake nad hopefully that'll work.
Similar Threads
-
By vijirin in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2007, 07:15 AM
-
By play1962 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-09-2006, 06:14 PM
-
By besonen in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-04-2005, 01:09 AM
-
By pap2003 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-28-2004, 11:14 AM
-
By migasf in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:18 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$184.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U 512GB SSD 16GB RAM FAIR BATT
$225.00

Intel Xeon E-2388G 8-Core 3.20GHz CPU Processor LGA 1151 SRKMZ
$799.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00