Quote Originally Posted by kirol
It's a very bad idea to revive an old thread with no specific mention of which version to use IMO.
...
Learn to use ntfs-3g for this. Knoppix 5.1+ has a working version
I think it's a lousy idea to revive old threads -- that have a working answer posted -- and then talk a little trash.

It was Oct 2007.
I stated I was using Knoppix 5.1.

And I agree that ntfs-3g is nice, but it leaves a sour taste when posters like you say "no, your method is bad", but only provide a link and then say "learn to use it". That isn't helpful to people like the original poster, who simply wanted to delete a SAM file and then get back to work in Windows. A Knoppix disc is a great utility for tasks like this, and the default driver works just fine for it.

But for those interested (especially if you are using Knoppix regularly to access NTFS drives), here's the modified mount command for the example I provided:
mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/sda1 -o rw

Cheers,
-jmaton