Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Boot problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5

    Boot problem

    I have downloaded the knoppix live 4.0 2CD version, EN. I burnt it on a 700mb, 80 min CD-R at a 4x burning speed. When I Boot my com, I get the welcome screen "If you want to start knoppix press return etc." I press return, a black screen with a linux penguin turns up, and there it stays. I started up my xbox, and sat there playing for about 20 minutes. still same screen. Does knoppix take a heck of a lot time to boot, or is something wrong with my disc/com? I've tried running the TestCD command, then I get a black screen, and it stays black. Any ideas?

    (This is my first post here. I do not intend to write alot here, but I will be here reading as much as I possibly can. I decided to include this little welcoming message in this post. Hello everyone)

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Boot problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Neth
    Does knoppix take a heck of a lot time to boot, or is something wrong with my disc/com?
    Something is wrong. Knoppix should boot in just a few minutes, usually more than one but less than 5. I've only sen it take extremely long times on old memory starved systems (such as 64 meg P90s). The disc might be ok, you might need some "cheat codes" to help it through the boot process.

    Did you verify the download with the md5 check (you didn't comment on that)? If not you could still do that if you still have the original ISO. Also read the cheat codes section of the wiki. I would suggest trying the dma and/or noacpi cheat codes. You might also try knoppix failsafe or try booting in expert mode.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5

    Re: Boot problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neth
    Does knoppix take a heck of a lot time to boot, or is something wrong with my disc/com?
    Something is wrong. Knoppix should boot in just a few minutes, usually more than one but less than 5. I've only sen it take extremely long times on old memory starved systems (such as 64 meg P90s). The disc might be ok, you might need some "cheat codes" to help it through the boot process.

    Did you verify the download with the md5 check (you didn't comment on that)? If not you could still do that if you still have the original ISO. Also read the cheat codes section of the wiki. I would suggest trying the dma and/or noacpi cheat codes. You might also try knoppix failsafe or try booting in expert mode.
    I just compared my MD5 check on my ISO file with WinMD5Sum, and it did not compare. I'll guess I'll just download it again and return to this thread again if I still have the same problem. Sorry about taking up your time

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Boot problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Neth
    I just compared my MD5 check on my ISO file with WinMD5Sum, and it did not compare. I'll guess I'll just download it again....
    This is why I highly recommend BitTorrent over the mirrors, I have had bad downloads from the mirrors about 1/2 the time (so no assurances you will not have another bad one if you use the mirrors again), BitTorrent downloads have always been good for me. And faster than the mirrors. And depending on your corruption, BitTorrent can sometimes even repair bad downloads from a Mirror and prevent the need for a full download.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5

    Re: Boot problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neth
    I just compared my MD5 check on my ISO file with WinMD5Sum, and it did not compare. I'll guess I'll just download it again....
    This is why I highly recommend BitTorrent over the mirrors, I have had bad downloads from the mirrors about 1/2 the time (so no assurances you will not have another bad one if you use the mirrors again), BitTorrent downloads have always been good for me. And faster than the mirrors. And depending on your corruption, BitTorrent can sometimes even repair bad downloads from a Mirror and prevent the need for a full download.
    I downloaded it from bittorrent.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Neth:

    Just a quick thought. Does your system have enough memory to boot into KDE? You should have somewhere around 256Meg, or more, for it to work well.

    When you re-download by Bittorrent, you can try letting it overwrite to the existing location and it should repair your file, if it is indeed corrupted. It's unusual for a torrent download to be corrupt, but it is possible.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by ckamin
    Neth:

    Just a quick thought. Does your system have enough memory to boot into KDE? You should have somewhere around 256Meg, or more, for it to work well.

    When you re-download by Bittorrent, you can try letting it overwrite to the existing location and it should repair your file, if it is indeed corrupted. It's unusual for a torrent download to be corrupt, but it is possible.
    Well, I'm on 2048mb at the moment, so.

    I've re-downloaded it now, I've checked it with MD5Summer, it's green. I'm going to burn it in a few mins.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Neth
    Quote Originally Posted by ckamin
    Neth:

    Just a quick thought. Does your system have enough memory to boot into KDE? You should have somewhere around 256Meg, or more, for it to work well.

    When you re-download by Bittorrent, you can try letting it overwrite to the existing location and it should repair your file, if it is indeed corrupted. It's unusual for a torrent download to be corrupt, but it is possible.
    Well, I'm on 2048mb at the moment, so.

    I've re-downloaded it now, I've checked it with MD5Summer, it's green. I'm going to burn it in a few mins.
    Everything was great with the download. However, it still didn't work. I burnt at 4x on CD-R, and I get a black screen.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Have you tried any cheatcodes? Especially the ones that Harry mentioned previously? Run through some of them, like the nousb, noddc, failsafe, etc. You might have some hardware that is troublesome. It's just a matter of getting past it, if that is the problem.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hessen, DE
    Posts
    24

    KDE @ 1024x768x16 bit color

    Quote Originally Posted by ckamin
    Neth:

    Just a quick thought. Does your system have enough memory to boot into KDE? You should have somewhere around 256Meg, or more, for it to work well.
    Well, I don't think KDE needs 256 MB, I've once tried Knoppix on my gateway/router/server PC, with only 128 MB of RAM (and a whopping 2 MB graphics RAM on the PCI graphics card), and, well, it did run quite well, slow but stable and quite usable (KDE @ 1024x768x16 bit color). So it should work out even on old hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. boot problem
    By sonsrey in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 03:49 PM
  2. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  3. Problem: GX620 boot from CD problem
    By sid_galt in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-27-2005, 10:02 PM
  4. USB Boot problem
    By codeforge in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-16-2004, 05:06 PM
  5. Boot problem
    By SK in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Computer Manuals and Disks - Windows 3.1, Epson, Quicken, and more picture

Vintage Computer Manuals and Disks - Windows 3.1, Epson, Quicken, and more

$101.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP

$299.99



🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE picture

🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE

$249.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Iomega Bernoulli 90 PRO 90MB SCSI Removable Disk Drive + Extras picture

Vintage Iomega Bernoulli 90 PRO 90MB SCSI Removable Disk Drive + Extras

$124.99



RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller picture

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller

$35.00



Nice White Ceramic NEC 8080A Microprocessor / Old Vintage Computer Gold IC Chip picture

Nice White Ceramic NEC 8080A Microprocessor / Old Vintage Computer Gold IC Chip

$399.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board. picture

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.

$135.37