Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Mounting CCISS-partitions ?

  1. #1

    Mounting CCISS-partitions ?

    Hi

    Some time ago, i forgot the root-password to my ageold RH7.2.... I know, stupid me, but it does happen i guess...

    In any case, the Grub is configured so that it will not allow single-user-mode, so i decided to try to boot into knoppix and from there mount the RedHat's Root partition and modify the shadow file to erase root's password. (or to copy it somewhere to crack it...)

    Sounds like a good plan ?

    The only thing is, Knoppix does not recognize the smart-array which houses the root partition of the RH.
    I quite newbie in linux, so I would definitely appreciate help.

    How do enable the CCISS partitions underk knoppix and where can I mount them once enabled ?
    Do I need some extra modules (outside knoppix CD), and if so, where to get them and how to install them ?

    Also, do i dare to poke around another filesystem's data, without risking breaking something ?

    The system I am trying to recover is RH7.2 with kernel 2.4.9-21
    The CCISS drive is Compaq Smart Array 523 Controller
    Adaptec AIC-7899 Ultra 160/m Adapter
    Adaptec AHA274X/284X/294X (EISA/ULB/PCI-Fast SCSI)

    All help Greatly Appreciated !

    ~dysfunctional

  2. #2

    No help, anyone ?

    Was the question too hard, too easy, or too confusing for me to deserve any replies ?

    Disappointed Dysfuntional

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    159
    Definitely too hard for me as I don't even know what CCISS mans Are you using one of those Proliant servers with HW raid?

    Anyway if you still have the original install CD, try booting off it and see if it offers a rescue mode. Using this version guarantees you can chroot into your HD root FS (provided the HW is recognised), and then simply use "passwd" to reset root's password.

  4. #4
    Hey Kirol

    Unfortunately I do not have the original install-CD.s
    And yes, that is exactly what i am referring to, compaq proliant Raid. Built under Smartarray.

    What I really need to know is how can I mount the partitions when the knoppix cannot see the RAID-stack.
    I understand that i would need to load the appropriate driver-module and mount the RAID by those means, but I dont know how to do it. And indeed what driver-module i should use ?

    The current system uses the driver; Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version 5.4.2/5.2.0.... Would this work under knoppix's kernel ?
    How do I know what module to try with ?

    Also, does anyone have xperience on mounting a filesystem through another filesystem ? Shouldn't I be just able to mount and "passwd root" my problem away ?
    Can I accidentally break something by doing this ? Im afraid I will fook up something if I go poking around another operating system's root folder...

    Cheers !

Similar Threads

  1. Help mounting FBSD partitions
    By emergingdzns in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 06:23 PM
  2. mounting BSD partitions
    By michapma in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-24-2006, 12:41 PM
  3. Mounting /var /tmp /home etc on different partitions..?
    By Chefren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2005, 02:30 AM
  4. Mounting Existing Linux Partitions
    By lilpaul in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 11:41 AM
  5. Mounting and creating shortcuts for partitions
    By xolstis in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-29-2003, 06:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD picture

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD

$87.96