Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: boot help :(

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3

    boot help :(

    Hey guys - I realize that this has probably been answered somewhere but I'm really in a rush and haven't yet found an answer. My harddrive crashed recently - luckily I still had a warranty w/Dell- but of course they just threw a new harrdrive at the problem instead of trying to help me fix it. (I hope none of you ever have to deal w/ Dell tech support - ever.) Anyway, I have to return the old one pretty soon, and my Knoppix 4.0.2 CD came today. I put the old harddrive in and booted off the CD. I pushed enter, as it told me it would then boot. However - all I saw after that was a penguin on the screen, and nothing else. I tried pushing keys, but no text appeared. I turned it off after a bit and tried re-booting again, but this time the main Linux/ knoppix screen had trouble even appearing.. (My graphics card is working fine b/c everything is fine when I put in the new harddrive). Anyway - I'm probably just missing something completley obvious, or maybe I'm just screwed... but yeah. I got the idea of trying to get stuff off it from this FAQ ( http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/#hd ).

    I have to send them back the old one by the 30th so i'd appreciate any help.

    Thanks guys.. and again, sorry - I'm really new to this program.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3
    Also: I waited about 10 minutes before turning it off with the penguin. I was assuming some bar would pop up showing that it was loading.. but nothing.

    And for more background.. when I try using the harddrive, it says "primary harddrive not found." it's probably completley screwed, but i did get it to turn on twice for about 10 minutes about a week ago. (no luck since.. I was connecting my external the second time to back everything up but it crashed again.)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3
    also, when i type testcd where it says boot: - it says
    could not find kernal img

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Try cheatcode dma. It may also appear that your disk is corrupt. If the dma cheatcode does not fix it, then you might have purchased a bad disk. I usually obtain the iso via Bittorrent and then burn it at slow speed to ensure compatibility. I have heard that some of the commercially made disks are terrible, but never purchased one and can't say from experience.

    If your windows machine is working again, why not just install it into the box and recover your files in Windows.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by heyradio
    also, when i type testcd where it says boot: - it says
    could not find kernal img
    That's because testcd is not the name of a valid Linux kernel to boot, or in other words you used the cheat code wrong, try knoppix testcd.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor picture

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor

$250.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Vintage Apple Mac mini CIB (2009 Mod A1283) Original box/sealed manuals picture

Vintage Apple Mac mini CIB (2009 Mod A1283) Original box/sealed manuals

$450.00



185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON ** picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer **TURNS ON **

$99.99



2X Vintage Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers - IIcx/IIci - Parts Repair Untested picture

2X Vintage Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers - IIcx/IIci - Parts Repair Untested

$129.00



Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1MB M0001A Vintage Computer - Works

$169.99



Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2 picture

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2

$109.99



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99