Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Help needed on using dd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5

    Help needed on using dd

    I am new to Linux and am currently trying to copy / clone a hard drive with an XP OS to another.

    The source drive shows up as hda1
    The destination drive is an IDE on a USB adapter and shows up as sda. It has some old data on it which I assume will be overwritten.

    Both drives are 20.4Gb

    I believe I need to use "dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda" to clone the drive.

    I have gone to run and typed BASH.
    I then typed su
    I then typed the command shown above. The hard drive light pulses 1 or 2 times a seconds. After about 12 hours the command had not finished. I cancelled the operation and checked the destination drive in Linux. Nothing had changed on it.

    Any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    348
    Just a rough guess, but if you are trying to clone an NTFS partition/drive, Linux might not be the answer. I have not used dd to clone an NTFS drive, so I do not know if it would work or not. It is just my opinion that if Linux is not flawless with NTFS, it could be the issue.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5
    At the moment I am testing using dd to clone between two good drives as I need to clone a drive with a hardware fault. It can not be accessed in Windows as Windows times out. Therefore I can't use Ghost. However the drive can be accessed and read with Linux.

    So assuming I can get two working drives to clone using dd I will then try the faulty drive.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    The filesystem type won't matter, just make sure each fs is the EXACT SAME SIZE, down to the byte. Otherwise it won't work.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5
    Hi Kowood

    <<make sure each fs is the EXACT SAME SIZE>>
    Does this mean I need to create a partition of the same size and type on the destination drive? I assumed that as dd did a byte by byte copy it would create everything during the process.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitbsl
    Hi Kowood
    <<make sure each fs is the EXACT SAME SIZE>>
    Does this mean I need to create a partition of the same size and type on the destination drive? I assumed that as dd did a byte by byte copy it would create everything during the process.
    At first I woul copy the whole drive at once, including partition table and boot sectors
    even though the new drive has a larger size and you will only use a portion of it.
    Then under windows, resize, move or create new partition(s) to use the rest of the disk.
    As far as I remember the windows boot loader (ntldr) do not like a change in the disk geometry
    and/or a change in the physical location of the boot files...
    You may need to use the windows recovery console from the install cd to re install the boot files.
    My two cents,
    Gilles

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5
    I have now tried another hard drive as the destination drive and attached it directly to the IDE rather than running it on a USB - IDE adapter. The dd now runs but it takes a very long time. 20Gb took 5 hours! This would take about 15 - 30 minutes with Ghost.

    This there anything that can be done to speed up the dd? I need to clone a Windows XP drive that can only be read in Linux. It is 250Gb so it is going to take at least 2 days.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    ghost copies data only dd copies the whle drive. quite diferente things don't you think?

  9. #9
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitbsl
    ...This there anything that can be done to speed up the dd? I need to clone a Windows XP drive that can only be read in Linux. It is 250Gb so it is going to take at least 2 days.
    Did you enable dma in the kernel cheatcode ?
    Did you enable the 32bit mode (hdparm -c1d1 /dev/hda) ?
    My two cents,
    Gilles

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitbsl
    I have now tried another hard drive as the destination drive and attached it directly to the IDE rather than running it on a USB - IDE adapter. The dd now runs but it takes a very long time. 20Gb took 5 hours! This would take about 15 - 30 minutes with Ghost.

    This there anything that can be done to speed up the dd? I need to clone a Windows XP drive that can only be read in Linux. It is 250Gb so it is going to take at least 2 days.
    You can use bs-option to set the block-size. Larger values might be faster (as long as they aren't too large), but I havn't really tested it. I usually use bs=1M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HELP needed!!
    By mostafa_dahir in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 05:29 PM
  2. Some help needed please.
    By BNU-FaNtAsMa in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-22-2004, 11:06 PM
  3. help needed
    By ryansanders2002 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2004, 07:47 PM
  4. Help Needed .. in a bad way ...
    By junior in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 05:41 AM
  5. More Verizon DSL help needed
    By akira28 in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 07:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory picture

Samsung 64GB (16GBx4) 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA M393A2K43EM3-CWENY DDR4 Server Memory

$399.99



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Lot Of (22) 4GB DDR3 ram memory picture

Lot Of (22) 4GB DDR3 ram memory

$149.00



Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-2933Y 1Rx4 ECC REG DIMM (PC4-21300) M393A2K40DB2-CVF picture

Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-2933Y 1Rx4 ECC REG DIMM (PC4-21300) M393A2K40DB2-CVF

$120.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98