-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
garrincha
Just in case, how do I actually remove the Debian-Sarge on my HD, just so that I could install Debian-Etch?
I expect that there is more than one good way. I personally would just delete the Linux partition and the Linux swap partition and then Net-install Debian and tell it to use the now free space on the diak.

Originally Posted by
garrincha
I do not recall coming up to the 'desktop install' (i.e. gnome) during the Debian-sarge install process.
It may have been worded different in Sarge, I just don't remember, I've done a lot of different installs since then, but I'm certain it was there and that it wasn't too hard to come across (since I did).

Originally Posted by
garrincha
Anyway, I tried the apt-get in the debian [root] shell by typing:
atp-get install gnome
after pressing <enter>, I get this:
"package gnome is not available, but ......
I would have expected the name to be gnome, but maybe the name is something different. I have not had reason to track down the exact package name since Etch installed it for me. You could try searching through the Debian package list, be sure that you use the right list for Sarge or Etch.
I understand a bit more of the confusion on the cable modem now. What Windows calls something can be confusing, but in this case I think it is included here because you have a USB driver for the device in Windows. I strongly discourage any networking done over USB and if you can also attach that modem by ethernet I suggest that you do so and remove the USB support completely from Windows, it will run much better. This is also essential before you can add a routerm, as the USB connection stops you from attaching the router or otherwise having a proper network. You should not see this cable modem as a device under Linux, you should simply see you NIC or NICs and a NIC should connect to the cable modem or, better yet, to a router that connects to the modem.
Similar Threads
-
By eric.stone in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-11-2006, 07:08 PM
-
By nmitchell in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-11-2005, 10:09 PM
-
By nmitchell in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-10-2005, 11:28 PM
-
By Kaldrenon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor
$14.49

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$144.98