-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
garrincha
O.k. Harry. I should have used the the Win98 boot floppy with fdisk. Anyway, that's in the past. So I had to remove the GRUB bootloader BEFORE I do the debian-etch installation?
That is a good question and I'm not sure of the answer to it. I would expect that Debian could install Etach to a system that already had grub in the disk's mbr and would just replace that grub with the new grub form this install, but I guess there is a very small chance that it could confuse Debian or at least bring up a question that I have never seen. I really don't know because as I mentioned I almost always use XOSL in the MBR (and XOSL has never confused Debian, it gladly over writes it if you let it). So unless I learn otherwise I think there is no need to remove grub, other than to get Windows back to it's normal Windows only boot mode.

Originally Posted by
garrincha
After about 30-40 mins, when the the installation was about 95% completed, I received the install failure message as described in the above post.
I'm not at all clear about what the problem you hit is. Perhaps someone who knows Debian better (I'm very much just starting to learn myself) will join in and provide some answers or at least ask the right questions.

Originally Posted by
garrincha
When I installed the Debian-Sarge CD, somehow the step where I choose the 'desktop install' didn't came up, otherwise the whole installation including GRUB install went o.k.
I take it then that you got far enough in the Etch install to see that desktop install question? I do know that the Sarge install dialog is different, they have made it much more user friendly in Etch, but I'm sure that the offer was made in some form in Sarge as well. If I remember correctly it was a list of things that you wanted and you checked of things you want or unselected things you did not, but I could be remembering a completely different Linux install there.
Similar Threads
-
By eric.stone in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-11-2006, 07:08 PM
-
By nmitchell in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-11-2005, 10:09 PM
-
By nmitchell in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-10-2005, 11:28 PM
-
By Kaldrenon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A
$89.95

Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM
$19.99

G.SKILL Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3400 DIMM RAM F4-3400C16D-16GTZ
$140.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

Micron 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-2666V Desktop RAM MTA16ATF2G64AZ-2G6E1
$140.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00