Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: some questions about knoppix 4.0.2 DVD

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    some questions about knoppix 4.0.2 DVD

    Hi guys,

    I am a pretty new user of Linux and today I just booted Knoppix the very first time.

    I have both CD and DVD version. CD works fine (well, not exactly, I typed toram and I didn't get any sound when I played music, but I guess I will try it later. This is not the concern right now) but I cannot boot with DVD.

    Windows XP starts even with DVD in the DVD-ROM (yes, I set BIOS correctly as you can see that CD works). I tried severay times, all same. Does that mean it is a damaged DVD or what else? IS DVD even bootable or just used for store more software and we HAVE TO boot by CD every time?

    also, i have some files in hard disk which was named in Chinese and I cannot find them in Linux system. they were just disappeared. (but I AM able to find and access to the files in English in the same partition). Apart from that, I cannot find Chinese input software in Knoppix. Do I need to download somewhere?

    I have read some basic Linux books for newbies such as Knowing Knoppix and Linux for Dammy and Linux Bible 2006 (haven't finished this one yet) but I could not find information about that.

    any advice would be appriciated. thanks again

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Yes, the DVD version is intended to be bootable. You didn't tell us enough to pin down your problem, my first impression is that it could be any of the following but it also may be something else:
    • The DVD may have been burnt at too high of a speed to boot reliably, or you may simply have a media problem (I have seen a lot of bad or marginal DVD media).

      You mention putting the DVD in the DVD drive. Is it the first optical drive on that controler and the same one that you boot the CD from? Some BIOSes seem only to boot from the first optical drive, Smart Boot Manager may help you boot from other drives.

      The DVD section of the drive may be bad or marginal (most DVD drives use a diffeerent laser for the CD and DVD section AFAIK)

    It might help if you told us what does and doesn't happen when you try to boot the DVD. Does the disc even spin? Do you get the prompt screen?

  3. #3

    Thanks a lot Harry

    I reburned DVD and now it works fine (again, there's minor problem with drivers but i will figure that later. )

    now i am waiting for the 5.01 DVD and next time I will definately write a detailed message when i have sth. to ask for help.

    Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Thanks a lot Harry

    Quote Originally Posted by tworiversfolk
    I reburned DVD and now it works fine ....
    Do you have any insight on what the problem with the first burn was? This may help others.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Two Questions About Knoppix
    By DCGS in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 10:26 AM
  2. Knoppix 4.0.2 Questions
    By Vyper in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2006, 11:05 PM
  3. Few Questions about Knoppix
    By |2yan in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 07:49 AM
  4. New to Knoppix some questions
    By Jorah in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 05:37 AM
  5. Knoppix questions
    By NickT in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2003, 12:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0

WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0" 128GB Black SM-X210

$139.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM picture

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM

$99.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$119.99



SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic picture

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic

$24.95



M386A8K40DM2-CVF SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY picture

M386A8K40DM2-CVF SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY

$1400.00