-
Failed WinXP HDD backup to 320Gb external HDD
I have burned and booted Knoppix 4.0 - at first, the boot stalled at the PCMCIA stage so I used the cheatecode no PCMCIA and it booted successfully. I have been and purchased a Toshiba 320Gb external HDD which I plugged in via USB prior to booting up Knoppix.
When the desktop appears I am able to mount the hda1 and sda1. I have also made them both write enablled. However when I click on actions menu ' change read write mode on the mounted Toshiba drive I get a warning dialogue saying the partition type is NTFS and to try using the Captive-ntfs driver via Knoppix utilities (which isn't included in v4.0 I have noted from other posts). The result is I can see all of my data I wish to recover from my laptop HDD but I have no way of copying it to the external HDD. When I try to copy from the hda1 to sda1 I get a message saying could not make folder. I have checked that all the write enable boxes and menus are checked.
please help I feel so near and yet so far. Also I am a complete newbie to Linux so please be gentle with your replies. I am assuming that this must have happened to someone else!
Similar Threads
-
By witt734 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-07-2009, 06:27 PM
-
By Pepois in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-19-2006, 07:17 PM
-
By Tito in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-06-2004, 06:13 PM
-
By viagrus47 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-08-2004, 04:13 AM
-
By bigrobot in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-03-2004, 04:15 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB
$69.99

ASRock Z370 Pro4 LGA 1151 Z370 HDMI USB 3.1 2 Ultra M.2 DDR4 ATX Motherboard
$75.00

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99