Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: variations

  1. #1
    simple
    Guest

    variations

    Hi
    One of the frustrating things about Linux is the variation within a version.
    For example: StarManta asks (below) about saving preferences and Old Pete gives clear instructions.
    Well I get my internet configured, set up my email, send myself an email to confirm, and then follow Old Pete's instuctions.
    Reboot.(with floppy in) no configs.
    Look at the floppy; it has conig file and knoppix.sh file.
    TryF2, consol, "run" all nogo
    I assume my computer has some slight difference that causes this
    Any advice would be most welcome
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    RE: Variance

    I'm unclear about your question. Are you asking how to load your saved preferences from floppy? It's not automatic. For that, type

    knoppix floppyconfig

    at the Boot: prompt. If that's NOT what you meant, please clarify.

  3. #3
    Gort
    Guest
    Not trying to split hairs, but isn't it "knoppix floppyconf" (no quotes), or can it be done both ways? (I suppose I could find that out myself in a minute.)

    BTW, although I use Mandrake as my permanent Linux distro, I do like dabbling with Knoppix. It's also great to show others who are a bit frightened of Linux the benefits it can give... but I think you all know that.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2
    OK, after checking, it seems that you can do both "knoppix floppyconf" and "knoppix floppyconfig". Learn something new every day.

  5. #5
    simple
    Guest

    variations

    To Loper
    Hi
    Thanks for the quick reply, sorry that I did not make myself clear.
    Yes I did type "knoppix floppyconfig"(No quotes) at boot up.
    But first I should say that when I put _both_ the floppy and the CD in and _then_ pressed the power button the comp. would not boot; the floppy had to be inserted sometime (what time?) after power up.
    I also tried (when it did not work when typed at boot) the other command line windows mentioned.
    Thanks again for your help.
    (also tried "knoppix floppycon")

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2
    Maybe I'm answering something you've already done, but I'll carry on. You put only the CD in and then power up the computer. You are, a few seconds after the computer POSTs, then faced with the starting Knoppix screen and at the bottom is a prompt where you type "knoppix floppyconf" (or "knoppix floppyconfig") or some other commands (you can press F2 to bring up other options). When you see this screen, just place the floppy in the drive and type the above words, then press Enter.

    Your problem seems to be that you are putting the floppy in the drive and the computer is trying to boot the floppy; it should be booting the CD instead.

    I hope I have answered your question rather than telling you something you already know.

  7. #7
    simple
    Guest

    variations

    I should have realized that I had changed my BIOS to first boot from a floppy so that i could use a boot floppy when I installed Knoppix to the hdd. (the install is not yet a success, but I would prefer, given a choice, not to change the Bios back to a cd first choice). I have ME on 2gig of a 30 gig hdd and it suffices for email. So if ,with my existing BIOS setup I will not be able to save my preferences, I can live with it (but sadly!).

  8. #8
    simple
    Guest

    variations

    Hi
    My reply crossed yours .
    That is what I did.
    Even when I waited and put the floppy in when the boot prompt appeared, typed "knoppix floppyconfig" and hit enter the congigurations, even my wheel mouse config., did not take effect.
    Thanks for your help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$49.99



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE

$6299.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare

$1800.00



Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k picture

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k

$300.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$59.99



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 picture

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110

$129.99



Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs picture

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs

$14.99



Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010) picture

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)

$149.00