-
How do I Install a custom fire in a Knoppix HD installation?
3 or 4 years ago, Guarddog didn't exist and I wrote a stateful firewall with Daniel Robbins' instructions on IBM's site and a few hacks I got on the net. Until now, it seems the firewall works quite well and, if I switch to Debian/Knoppix, I would like to keep it and install it the right way in Debian/Knoppix
In Slackware, things are easy. Let's say I'm a real ignorant about Linux, which is quite exact, and all I've read is the Linux Pocket Guide. How do I learn to install a firewall?
If I look in /etc/rc.d/, there are 2 files that look like the way geeks could name files pertaining to internet: rc.inet1 and rc.inet2.
So I:
less rc.inet1
and the first line in the file says:
"This script starts up the base networking system."
This might be it! let's see.
cat rc.inet1 | grep -i firewall
Nothing. Too bad. Let's see the other file:
cat rc.inet2 | grep -i firewall
returns:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall ]; then
/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall start
# required if you plan to use your Linux machine as a router or firewall.
The first 2 lines seem interesting. It says that if I've got a file called /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall and it is executable, it should be start-ed. So... normally, the file must be written this way:
start ()
{
iptables commands
}
start
I believe that's it in pretty much plain english. I know which file asks that the firewall be started, I know how the firewall is usually called, so that if another sysadmin replaces me he can find the file in no time at all. And I know that it should be chmoded x.
Bingo! No need to look on the net. EVERYTHING is there, all instructions available in a matter of minutes. Can anybody tell me how to find information this way in Debian/Knoppix? This is how I'd like to start my firewall, despite there being apparently a 1000 other ways to do it.
Regards!
Similar Threads
-
By Siegfried_Heintze in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-15-2006, 06:15 AM
-
By hal8000 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-21-2005, 08:39 PM
-
By knoppixusr in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-28-2004, 08:07 PM
-
By cobra133 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-18-2004, 06:34 AM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-07-2003, 08:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.77