I'm curious how you get info with xkill? I just use it to zap programs that are not responding.
Ok Folks,
Being a fresh newbie to all this, Knoppix/Linux/Debian/Unix, I'd like to keep all of this, but I'm running out of postie notes...
Is all these great tips & tricks stuff going to be included, or is it already included, into the Main FAQ sheets found here on Knoppix, under the DOCS ???
After I go full-blown to Knoppix/Debian at the end of the year, with a new system designed for it, I'm going to need those resources. Since the IE I am currently using will evaporate, and so will all the Address Book and Bookmarks I have in both IE and Outlook, I'm going to have to reset everything back to ground zero again.
I would like to personally thank everyone here on Knoppix.Net for all the assistance, and future assistance, in this journey from MS "domination" to being not only paroled, but released from custody that is known as MS
Amazing the journey has been, it all started when someone I knew handed me a "strange" CD-ROM with the words "Knoppix 3.2" half-scribbled on it, and said, "can you get this thing working?"
Thanks !!!
Cuddles
I'm curious how you get info with xkill? I just use it to zap programs that are not responding.
Congratulations on your choice! Don't throw away your bookmarks and address book, though.After I go full-blown to Knoppix/Debian at the end of the year, with a new system designed for it, I'm going to need those resources. Since the IE I am currently using will evaporate, and so will all the Address Book and Bookmarks I have in both IE and Outlook, I'm going to have to reset everything back to ground zero again.
You can save your bookmarks as an HTML file:
(1) On IE's File menu, click Import and Export.
(2) Export your bookmarks as an HTML file.
(3) Save the file to a floppy.
Then, in Linux, import it into Mozilla (which is much better than IE anyway):
(1) On Mozilla's Bookmarks menu, click Manage Bookmarks.
(2) On the Bookmark Manager's Tools menu, click Import.
(3) Select the bookmark file you saved from IE, then click Open.
(4) Your imported bookmarks (including folders) are added to the bottom of your Mozilla Bookmarks list.
(Don't forget to upgrade to Mozilla 1.5 first. For some reason, Knoppix comes with v1.0, which is pretty old now.)
I also understand that Mozilla can import Outlook address books into its built-in email client. In your case, you could install the Windows version of Mozilla; import your Outlook addresses; save the addresses in Mozilla's format; then re-import it with Linux Mozilla.
If you want more details, just look around on the Web and you'll see posts from other people who've done this stuff.
Cheers, Ander
Please see the edited version.Originally Posted by stonent
![]()
Don't worry, you can now see the page at www.d-white.co.uk/linuxtips.htmlOriginally Posted by bxb32001
Dave, if you dont like it, tell me and I'll remove it
--Looks cool. It doesn't get updated very often, but try to keep an eye out (once a month or so) for changes. Whenever I update a section I always change the date in the table.
--Thanx for the mirror.
Originally Posted by Blerghh
To generate ssh hostkeys:
Then just start the daemon:Code:ssh-keygen -b 1024 -t rsa1 -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key -N "" ssh-keygen -b 1024 -t rsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key -N "" ssh-keygen -b 1024 -t dsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key -N ""
/etc/init.d/ssh start
OK - I looked through Dave's Tips. I think if I knew more about what I was looking at I may understand what it all means...![]()
Can anybody here suggest a good book or link (prefer a FREE link) for those of us who need a little hand-holding? Specificaly looking for Knoppix 3.3 info.
OK, I have my asbestos overcoat on...![]()
Now why do you think you'd get flamed for that?Originally Posted by Mustang64
The Linux Newbie Admin Guide is a great place to start.
Bash Scripting
tldp.org
Now that I've gotten a little more "intellegent" with my knowledge of Linux, here are a few good commands to help those who are interested in what is "running" on there system, who is logged in on there system, and what "connections" are being "listened" to, and "established", on there systems:
ps -auxw
( to get a "top" listing of everything running on your system, services, programs, and "zombies", for all users )
netstat -natu
( to get a listing of "Active Internet connections (servers and established)" from your system )
rpcinfo -p
( to get a listing of all RPC processes from the portmapper, on the local system )
and lastly, from a friend,
users
( to get a list of all users currently logged in to your system )
Most of these commands have an associated man for them, and have additional command line switches for more information, or less, output - the man page will also explain a lot more of what the program "monitors", or outputs information for...
Hope, I do good, and no one else hasn't hit these before,
Ms. Cuddles

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX
$14.99
HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00
HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99
(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99
Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600
$239.99