Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Suddenly can't write to USB flash drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    19

    Suddenly can't write to USB flash drive

    I am running Knoppix with no hard drive, just a USB flash drive mounted as sda1. The drive is only 1/4 full. I can see from using Konqueror to browse files and also from the command line that all files have rwxrwxrwx permissions. I am trying to write to the USB drive but can't. If I use KEdit I get the message:

    "The document could not be saved, as it was not possible to write to file:///mnt/sda1/asd.
    Check that you have write access to this file or that enough disk space is available."

    If I try to export bookmarks from Firefox I get not error message but the file is never written to the disk. I believe the problem started when I removed the USB drive and then replaced it during normal operations. After plugging the drive back in, I remounted it, and now I can read files fine, just can't write. I tried to unmount sda1 and then mount it again, but when I enter the command "umount /mnt/sda1" I get this message: "umount: /mnt/sda1: device is busy". Perhaps this is a clue.

    Any ideas on how I can save all the work I have in memory before rebooting? Thanks!

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Similar Threads

  1. Copy file from hard drive to usb flash drive
    By PaulKraemer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-08-2006, 04:49 PM
  2. Unable to write to flash drive
    By kpfuser in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-24-2005, 03:31 PM
  3. write to flash after booting
    By kpettersen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2005, 05:26 PM
  4. using a PDA as a usb flash drive
    By jehan60188 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 07:57 PM
  5. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM picture

SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM

$199.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



M386A8K40DM2-CVF SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY picture

M386A8K40DM2-CVF SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY

$1200.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Micron MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2E1TI 64GB DDR4-3200AA-RB4-12 RDIMM Memory Module picture

Micron MTA36ASF8G72PZ-3G2E1TI 64GB DDR4-3200AA-RB4-12 RDIMM Memory Module

$650.00



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50