Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: planning new install for Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4

    planning new install for Knoppix

    Hi all,

    I'm new to this forum, I have some experiens with Knoppix, I'm planning to install a new version on my computer.

    I noticed that 5.0.1. is going to be releeased in a view days, would you recommend that I wait for that release or install 4.0.2?

    I searched this forum and did not find any question regarding this, if there is one I'm sorry that I have ask this question again

    Regards,

    Q1tum

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81

    Hold off for 5.0.1

    It's quite well documented in these forums that Knoppix is NOT recomended for installation to hard disk - although it's still an option if you insist on doing so. That being said, on the release notes for the impending 5.0.1 there seems to be some note of an improved installation that more closely resembles Debian. And if you're going to install to hard drive why not try the full blown Debian installation instead of a Live CD (DVD in this case)? I'm sure Harry would agree that Etch is the way to go if you want to do that

    'Goon

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4
    I never installed a full debian (woody), but I will take a look into that, search the internet, there should be more then enough howto's available

    thanks for your advise

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4
    I just found something what is interesting for me perhaps:

    http://genieos.toluenterprises.com/Home.html

    Is anyone using GenieOS or is it not recommended for a 'newbe' to linux?

    Regards,

    Q1tum

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Q1tum
    I never installed a full debian (woody), but I will take a look into that
    Woody is very out of date. Sarge is the current "Stable" version, but even that is very old, I would suggest Etch, which is the current testing version. In spite of the "testing" term, Etch is pretty stable and is much newer than Sarge or Woddy (much of Knoppix is Etch code).

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    135
    Kanotix has an excellent installer. Start with LiveCD and install from there (Easter-RC4 is the latest). Kanotix forum and IRC is excellent for any issues.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    4
    Just finished installing Linux Etch, this was almost easier and mtuch faster then Windows hehe

    Thanks for the replies

Similar Threads

  1. Apt-get better with Debian install than Knoppix install?
    By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
  2. Upgrade Knoppix 3.6 HDD install to Knoppix 3.7 HDD install
    By techdesk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 03:14 AM
  3. Knoppix install read error around 80%, install another way?
    By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
  4. Knoppix HDD install Vs. regular Debian install
    By Jez in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
  5. saving home from hd-install, so i can install new knoppix
    By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller

$295.00