Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: problems with ppp and kppp

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4

    problems with ppp and kppp

    I am having problems with user acccounts for kppp and pppd. When trying to connect with kppp, I got a message saying could not access /var/syslog /var/messages /var/syslog.ppp. I went and did a chmod 755 to pppd and kppp and the /var/syslog & /var/messages. /var/syslog.ppp does not exist.

    After trying again, I now get an error message that it cannot open the ppp log file. I can't see a ppp.log file anywhere.

    As root, I can log connect no probs. Similarly, if I su from a terminal and start kppp, I can also connect. It just doesn't want to let me connect as a normal user.

    My modem and connection settings are fine, as they both work on RH and Slackware, just not on this distro (Knoppix).

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    84
    You shouldn't have to chmod anything. This will only make your system less secure. Just add your user accounts to the groups you need. The easy way is to go to K > System > KUser and edit your users. Check that they have access to the dialout group and stuff like that.

    Hope that does the trick

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    4
    I only changed my settings to that of what is on my Slackware default setup. e.g

    chmod u+s /usr/sbin/pppd
    chmod u+s /usr/bin/kppp

    I can dial up fine and connect. But nothing happens. Even though I am connected, when I try to access any site I get an error message saying site not found.

    I added myself to the dialout group, but it doesn't make any difference.

    Any ideas?

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with KPPP/Dial-up
    By petrotraficante in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 04:34 AM
  2. kppp problem
    By el.cubano in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 12:29 PM
  3. kppp on debian hd-install
    By TheBman in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 01:32 PM
  4. KPPP won't work
    By xolstis in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 01:37 PM
  5. Kppp -kde
    By kc1di in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 09:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$329.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 3 | Intel I5-1245U | 16GB RAM | 256GB NVMe | W11P | W/AC picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 3 | Intel I5-1245U | 16GB RAM | 256GB NVMe | W11P | W/AC

$299.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter

$169.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$229.99