Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: New to Knoppix and I want to Install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4

    New to Knoppix and I want to Install

    I'm pretty new to knoppix, I have Knoppix 4.0, and I'm wanting to install it on my IBM Thinkpad 600E. It doesn't have any problems with drivers or anything like that but what I'm having trouble with is the installation. I have Windows 2000 installed but from what I'm reading I need to use Terminal commands to format. I don't know any Terminal commands and what I've found hasn't helped much so can anyone point me to any good tutorials explaining the Terminal and commands and how to format a hard drive and install.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Don't do it, it's an awful mistake. That version of Knoppix was not intended to be installed to hard disk. There will be issues to resolve.

    If you absolutely insist on installing Knoppix over a hard disk based distro like Debian (the distro that KNoppix is built on), then at least use the new 5.0.1 release of Knoppix. Klaus (the primary author) say that this version is finally ready for hard disk install. The jury may still be out (we've had the release for less than 24 hours), we just don't know yet if there will be problems, and I'm not sure there is any reason to install a Live CD rather than a hard disk based distro, but if you think that you have to go this route at least don't do it with one that the author says was a version before he stated that Knoppix was suitable for hard disk install.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5

    Whats wrong with trying?

    I have installed knoppix using several methods,and every time is a winner. There was a little rooting around to fix slight issues but I would hardly call myself a linux guru.

    I used persistant home, PMI, dual boot and HD install onto an old laptop (64MB ram 4g hd). If you prepared to get down and dirty with the OS why would'nt installing be a good idea?

    I can appreciate that the whole point to knoppix, and a good point it is too, is to run from a live CD, but I think I am right in saying that Linux in general can be booted from any partition, slave/master hd and temp hd(usb)?

    So to question what undoubtly has been questioned before

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Whats wrong with trying?

    Quote Originally Posted by knoppixknut
    but I think I am right in saying that Linux in general can be booted from any partition, slave/master hd and temp hd(usb)?
    Oh, it can be booted. But all versions before 5 (maybe before 5.0.1) are a mix of different versions of Debian, very carefully selected and tested to work together correctly (at elast from CD). But when you update anything or install any new software, this mix of different incompatable versions is known to break.

    There have also been a lot of problems of the form "this worked just fine when I booted from the CD, but after installing to the hard disk it no longer works". The network connection is a common problem that this has been happening to for over three years, but there are others. These things just shouldn't happen to a beginner with a Linux install.

    Klaus is now saying that 5.0.1 is the first version of Knoppix that is ready for hard disk install. I'm assuming that this means the mixed version issue has gone away, altough I have not seen him actually say that. But the statement does reinforce the wisdom of not installing older versions.

    Not that from what I have seen in these forums 5.0.1 is quite ready for install. I still am seeing "it stopped working after an install" problems. So while Klause is trying to move towards a version of Knoppix that can be installed; I just don't see any reason to fight with it when Debian Etch will install cleanly and then let you install any or all of the applications included with Knoppix and many many more.

Similar Threads

  1. Apt-get better with Debian install than Knoppix install?
    By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
  2. Upgrade Knoppix 3.6 HDD install to Knoppix 3.7 HDD install
    By techdesk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 03:14 AM
  3. Knoppix install read error around 80%, install another way?
    By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
  4. Knoppix HDD install Vs. regular Debian install
    By Jez in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
  5. saving home from hd-install, so i can install new knoppix
    By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A picture

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A

$89.95



Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM picture

Micron 16GB (2x8GB) 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz PC3-12800U Desktop RAM

$19.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00