-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Whats wrong with trying?

Originally Posted by
knoppixknut
but I think I am right in saying that Linux in general can be booted from any partition, slave/master hd and temp hd(usb)?
Oh, it can be booted. But all versions before 5 (maybe before 5.0.1) are a mix of different versions of Debian, very carefully selected and tested to work together correctly (at elast from CD). But when you update anything or install any new software, this mix of different incompatable versions is known to break.
There have also been a lot of problems of the form "this worked just fine when I booted from the CD, but after installing to the hard disk it no longer works". The network connection is a common problem that this has been happening to for over three years, but there are others. These things just shouldn't happen to a beginner with a Linux install.
Klaus is now saying that 5.0.1 is the first version of Knoppix that is ready for hard disk install. I'm assuming that this means the mixed version issue has gone away, altough I have not seen him actually say that. But the statement does reinforce the wisdom of not installing older versions.
Not that from what I have seen in these forums 5.0.1 is quite ready for install. I still am seeing "it stopped working after an install" problems. So while Klause is trying to move towards a version of Knoppix that can be installed; I just don't see any reason to fight with it when Debian Etch will install cleanly and then let you install any or all of the applications included with Knoppix and many many more.
Similar Threads
-
By susanjohnson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:36 AM
-
By techdesk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-21-2005, 03:14 AM
-
By nmz787 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
-
By Jez in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 09:06 PM
-
By Superstoned in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested
$35.00

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor
$62.95

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

Intel Core i7-9700K Octa-Core 3.6 GHz Desktop CPU
$99.99

Intel Core i7-11700K 3.60GHz 11th Gen CPU Processor MPN SRKNL X239G085
$140.00

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD
$27.99