-
Black screen when booting Knoppix
I just downloaded the Knoppix 5.0.1 DVD, but I have had no luck in accessing the GUI. Everything seems fine during the initial booting sequence, but shortly after configuring peripherals the screen just goes blank and nothing works. Keyboard lights don't respond, the CPU light isn't busy, and the only way to get out of it is a hard boot.
When booting with "knoppix 4", I am able to access the console. However, once I try loading the GUI with startx, the screen goes black.
I am using an ATI X850 Pro on a Dell FP2001 monitor. I have tried a few other Linux distros (SuSE 10.1, Auditor Live CD, and Backtrack Live CD) which did not exhibit any display problems.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Have you tried cheat codes to force resolutions and screen refresh rates that you know are good for you (and I would say error on the conservative side here)? Maybe the hardware detection is just trying to push the displsy hardware beyond where it can go.
-
Yes; I've tried lots of different cheatcodes and resolutions, but nothing changes. Since numlock and capslock freeze up, would this indicate an issue beyond display since the system itself is non-responsive?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
MasterNES
Since numlock and capslock freeze up, would this indicate an issue beyond display since the system itself is non-responsive?
That sounds likely. I have no idea what the actual issue is though, would suggest trying more cheat codes or booting in expert mode and taking notes. Also try failsafe mode, not something you will likely want to run in but you might learn something about the problem in the process.
---
Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.
Similar Threads
-
By bubazoo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-19-2007, 01:34 PM
-
By Josh83 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-03-2005, 05:19 PM
-
By feffer777 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-18-2005, 07:40 AM
-
By gradnite in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 07:30 PM
-
By Cykke in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple Macintosh Microsoft BASIC Interpreter OEM Sealed NOS ver 1.01
$1399.99

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor
$250.00

Apple Macintosh Classic II M4150 Vintage All-In-One Home Computer
$75.00

RARE Vintage Radius Apple MAC II Full Page Display board NOS Andy Hertzfeld
$500.00

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac
$90.00

Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals
$50.00

2X Vintage Apple Macintosh Desktop Computers - IIcx/IIci - Parts Repair Untested
$129.00

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read
$295.00

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2
$109.99

NEW Vintage Apple Mac OS System 7 Icons Poker Hoyle Playing Cards SEALED
$189.95