-
Knoppix 5.0.1 and MN-720 wireless
I have a MN-720 wireless card on a Dell Inspiron 8200. I have just downloaded my first distribution of Knoppix - version 5.0.1 . All my hardware works fine and is supported except for my network card. I have searched these forums and scoured the Internet using Google for a solution. I have seen some solutions for SusE 9.x, MEPIS, and DSL 1.3. All the solutions use ndiswrapper. I have gone into the root shell and tried to bring the card up by hand using ndiswrapper. I have run across 2 problems that I cannot get around.
1 - Knoppix will not acknowledge wlan0. It simply does not exist to Knoppix. I cannot do anything to find it.
Iwconfig says i have
lo,
eth0
eth1,
eth2 (which says 802.11b/g ESSID
ff/any Nickname: “Broadcom 4306�, Mode:Managed Frequency=2.437 Ghz Access Point: Invalid, etc)
and sit0.
I have read that modprobe should be used to create an alias for wlan0, but I can't figure out how because:
2. the command "modprobe ndiswrapper" returns an error message: “FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.17/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid argument�
I have tried skipping that step and continuing on. here are the steps I try
1. ndiswrapper -e mn720-ankh (to clear it out, it does exist from my persistent home)
2. ndiswrapper -i /media/sda1/mn720-ankh.inf (located on my thumb drive)
i get the following response
“Installing mn720-ankh
Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2�
3. modprobe ndiswrapper
“FATAL: Error inserting ndiswrapper (/lib/modules/2.6.17/misc/ndiswrapper.ko): Invalid argument�
4. iwconfig eth2 essid any
5. iwconfig eth2 channel 6
6. ifconfig eth2 up
“SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory�
7.pump -i eth2
“Operation failed�
If I try to ndiswrapper from the Knoppix menu it returns the following error after i select the inf file “The ndiswrapper module has been loaded but there is no new device. Perhaps NdisWrapper is not working with your driver file.� ndiswrapper -l tells me driver installed, hardware present.
If I try to use Network card configuration for eth2 it says
“Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth2SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
Operation Failed.
Failed
Hit return to exit.�
It's worth mentioning that this card works fine with XP Home, But the power light won't even come on in knoppix. Additionally I plugged in an old netgear wireless card and can't get it to work either. On it, at least, the power light comes on, but no Internet.
Any help would be appreciated, my first day on Knoppix has been spent trying to get this card to work.
Similar Threads
-
By dtzxdtzx1 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-31-2007, 11:20 PM
-
By rpk073 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-14-2005, 12:09 PM
-
By sparticus in forum Laptops
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:55 AM
-
By tursiops in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-07-2004, 03:59 PM
-
By dave52355 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08