Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix 5.0 - no sound

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    manchester, uk
    Posts
    35

    Knoppix 5.0 - no sound

    Hi,

    I recently installed Knoppix 5.0 (after almost a year of Knoppix 4.0), and I am now facing a problem when playing audio files.

    My sound card is an Intel Corporation 82801DB AC'97. It is recognized by Alsa, and I can see the various controls on Kmix.

    Now, when I try to play an MP3 with xmms or Kaffeine, I can hear no sound, even though I can see that the track is playing. I have already checked that the volume is up in Kmix, and that Arts is not running at the same time, to be sure, I have also disabled the sound system.

    But there is no sound whatsoever.
    I started xmms from command line, but I get no error. Instead when I started Kaffeine from command line, I got this:

    Code:
    mmanu@scatoletta:~$ kaffeine /home/mmanu/01-faithless-introduction-esc.mp3
    /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0 : : No such file or directory
    QLayout "unnamed" added to QWidget "unnamed", which already has a layout
    mmanu@scatoletta:~$ [mpeg4 @ 0xb5c2dc44]header damaged
    [mpeg4 @ 0xb5c2dc44]header damaged
    [mpeg4 @ 0xb5c2dc44]header damaged
    [mpeg4 @ 0xb5c2dc44]header damaged
    [mpeg4 @ 0xb5c2dc44]header damaged
    [mpeg4 @ 0xb5c2dc44]header damaged
    [mpeg4 @ 0xb5c2dc44]header damaged
    [mpeg4 @ 0xb5c2dc44]header damaged
    [mpeg4 @ 0xb5c2dc44]header damaged
    I am not sure whether this is related to my sound card or just to Kaffeine.

    I also run alsaconf to to be sure that everything was installed correctly, but I had no result.

    If anybody could help me, I would be grateful.

    Thanks for your time.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    manchester, uk
    Posts
    35
    oops, I am really sorry...

    It was just a stupid combination of events...

    I had forgotten to try the combination Fn+F8, which controls the Mute/Unmute function of laptops, and the volume just started working. Kmix did not show the mute function to be on, and I was not thinking about that.

    So, problem is solved.

Similar Threads

  1. ASUS integrated sound chip recognized but no sound
    By saxguy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 06:15 PM
  2. Soundblaster Audigy and Knoppix 3.6 sound then no sound!
    By spitfire in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-30-2004, 02:56 AM
  3. SOund card fun:Sound Blaster Audigy OEM also Radeon 9600Pro
    By Battousai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:17 PM
  4. Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 04:45 PM
  5. SOund BLAster 5.1 on Knoppix 3.3 no sound
    By ICE_STORM in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-04-2003, 11:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$329.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

$124.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter

$169.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99