I can't figure out how to use it. When I type chntpw -u windows>system32>config>SAM it says that system32 or SAM is a read only file. I tried chmod and it wouldn't let me change it. How can I fix this probably?
Thank you
»chntpw« is a command-line tool by Petter Nordahl (Project Homepage) to reset Windows Passwords. Using a workaround, it can even reset a Domain Administrator's Password.
You can imagine that this small tool can come handy anytime. There is an option to create a bootdisk or a bootable CD, but when you've got Knoppix, why not have this also on board?
I believe chntpw was part of Knoppix somewhen, but has been dropped. I don't understand why. It's not big, it's free (source code also being available) and extremely useful. I understand that you can make your own customised Knoppix CD, but I tried and did not succeed. Anyway, this little program should be a standard for every Knoppix distribution for everyone to help recovering Windows-Installations, don't you think?
I can't figure out how to use it. When I type chntpw -u windows>system32>config>SAM it says that system32 or SAM is a read only file. I tried chmod and it wouldn't let me change it. How can I fix this probably?
Thank you
It is included w/ Kanotix
You can easily use klik://chntpw (it's just 62k). To use it, call it in the following way:
~/chntpw/wrapper chntpw [OPTIONS] <samfile> [systemfile] [securityfile] [otherreghive] [...]
(basically like normal, but prepend "~/chntpw/wrapper")
probono

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00
Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00
Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$599.99
Vintage (1979) Sanyo VM-4209 ‘Videoscope’ Monitor - Working
$325.00
Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00
Vintage AppleCare Protection Plan Box for Mac Model 607-3517 COLLECTIBLE ONLY
$20.00
Factory Sealed Windows 2000 Professional Upgrade Edition Vintage PC Software NOS
$50.00
Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac
$11.75
Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*
$80.00
Vintage TTL Logic IC Lot 174 Chips 7400 7441 Nixie Driver Sprague Storage Cases
$289.99