Same problem in the new 3.6
Any ideas why this was ignored?
The bugs place doesn't seem to be up, so I guess I'll post this here.
(When I wrote this I wrote it as if the recipient was one of the developers.)
Short story:
Can you make it not unmount my home directory when I have my config files saved in my home directory?
Long story:
I made a persistant home directory using the entire partition of my USB memory stick.
USB disk is now one partition formatted as ext2.
(I now have to boot with option home=/dev/sd[a..z]1 rather than home=scan.
Suggestion: if it finds an empty knoppix.img file on a partition, and the partition is ext2, then mount that partition as /home/knoppix or perhaps name the partition Knoppix and look for that.)
Back to the real problem.
I later saved the configuration on the same USB stick.
(booted with options: "knoppix home=/dev/sdb1 myconfig=scan")
(I added a line to the default knoppix.sh script to debug a bit.)
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ cat /mnt/sdb1/knoppix.sh
#!/bin/sh
[ "`id -u`" = "0" ] || { echo "You need root privileges to modify the system!" >&2 ; exit 1; }
[ -d "$1" ] && CONFIGS="$1/configs.tbz"
[ -f "$CONFIGS" ] || CONFIGS="/cdrom/KNOPPIX/configs.tbz"
[ -f "$CONFIGS" ] || CONFIGS="/mnt/floppy/configs.tbz"
if [ -f "$CONFIGS" ]; then
echo "Extracting config archive $CONFIGS..."
tar -jpPtf "$CONFIGS" | while read i; do rm -f "$i"; done
tar -jpPxf "$CONFIGS" ; chown -R knoppix.knoppix /home/knoppix
fi
mount >/tmp/mount.txt
So, when the configuration is loaded you can see that the home dir is mounted correctly.
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ cat /tmp/mount.txt
/dev/root on / type ext2 (rw)
/dev/cdrom on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro)
/dev/cloop on /KNOPPIX type iso9660 (ro)
/ramdisk on /ramdisk type tmpfs (rw,size=817824k)
usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw,devmode=0666)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/sdb1 type ext2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)
/mnt/sdb1 on /home/knoppix type none (rw,bind)
However, afterward it is unmounted for some strange reason.
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ mount
/dev/root on / type ext2 (rw)
/dev/cdrom on /cdrom type iso9660 (ro)
/dev/cloop on /KNOPPIX type iso9660 (ro)
/ramdisk on /ramdisk type tmpfs (rw,size=817824k)
usb on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw,devmode=0666)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/sdb1 type ext2 (rw,nosuid,nodev)
automount(pid592) on /mnt/auto type autofs (rw,fd=4,pgrp=592,minproto=2,maxproto=4)
I think this can be fixed by adding a few lines to /etc/rcS.d/S00knoppix-autoconfig Line 1058
Currently:
umount "$MYCONFMOUNTPOINT" 2>/dev/null
Suggestion:
Add a check to see if $MYCONFMOUNTPOINT is mounted as home.
(Sorry, I don't know shell scripting, so you'll have to finish this part on your own.)
Thanks,
Orson Jones
Same problem in the new 3.6
Any ideas why this was ignored?

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99