View Poll Results: chntpw on standard Knoppix Distribution -- yes or no?
- Voters
- 8. You may not vote on this poll
-
Why not add »chntpw«?
»chntpw« is a command-line tool by Petter Nordahl (Project Homepage) to reset Windows Passwords. Using a workaround, it can even reset a Domain Administrator's Password.
You can imagine that this small tool can come handy anytime. There is an option to create a bootdisk or a bootable CD, but when you've got Knoppix, why not have this also on board?
I believe chntpw was part of Knoppix somewhen, but has been dropped. I don't understand why. It's not big, it's free (source code also being available) and extremely useful. I understand that you can make your own customised Knoppix CD, but I tried and did not succeed. Anyway, this little program should be a standard for every Knoppix distribution for everyone to help recovering Windows-Installations, don't you think?
-
How do you use it?
I can't figure out how to use it. When I type chntpw -u windows>system32>config>SAM it says that system32 or SAM is a read only file. I tried chmod and it wouldn't let me change it. How can I fix this probably?
Thank you
-
Senior Member
registered user
It is included w/ Kanotix
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can easily use klik://chntpw (it's just 62k). To use it, call it in the following way:
~/chntpw/wrapper chntpw [OPTIONS] <samfile> [systemfile] [securityfile] [otherreghive] [...]
(basically like normal, but prepend "~/chntpw/wrapper")
probono
Similar Threads
-
By chokosenoko in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-12-2004, 11:52 PM
-
By cnaf in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-08-2004, 01:16 PM
-
By ksation in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-17-2003, 03:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit
$888.50

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500
$50.00

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ
$329.00

HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit #2
$838.50

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On
$100.00

Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs
$950.00

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000
$249.00

Commodore Amiga 2000 Rev 4.2 (PAL, Kickstart 1.3) Computer Keyboard Mouse Box SB
$1599.99

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128
$79.99

External fully assembled GreaseWeazle 3.5 inch Floppy Drive
$135.00