-
partition, mbr or ntld?
Hi All,
I hope this question has not been asked many times before. I am trying to rescue files off of a Seagate Barracuda 160 GB Sata HD. I have a working installation of windows xp SP2 on a seagate barracuda 120 GB IDE drive. The non-working SATA drive is connected to the biostar M7VIG Pro-D motherboard by way of a CompUSA (non-raid) SATA PCI CARD. lspci -v recognizes the card's satalink controller chip.
I've run "sfdisk -V" and came up with: sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature. /dev/sda: unrecognized partition table type
sfdisk: no partition table present.
I've run "gpart /dev/sda" and I got: ***Fatal error: cannot get sector size on dev(/dev/sda).
I've run "mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1" and I got:
Error reading bootsector : Input/output error
Failed to startup volume : Input/output error
Couldn't mount device '/dev/sda1' : Input/output error
I've run "fixdisk" and I was able to see the contents of the drive after running the "analyze" command.
I don't understand if all these clues indicate whether the partition table, mbr or ntld is damaged?
Similar Threads
-
By Nevermore in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-17-2009, 01:59 PM
-
By jwg in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-25-2007, 03:34 PM
-
By kene in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-11-2006, 05:25 PM
-
By bono in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-08-2005, 08:10 AM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 08-05-2004, 07:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Qx2 4-Bay RAID Enclosure + SATA 1394 -USB 2.0 (8TB)
$180.00

Glyph StudioRAID 28TB External RAID Hard Drive Thunderbolt 2 USB 3.0 7200RPM
$300.00

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49