I actually solved this problem, but the solution was very messy and I wonder if this isn't a bug.
I downloaded the English version of Knoppix, and in Grub added a "lang=us" tag. When starting KDE, also chose English as the language. Also went to "Control Center - Regional & Accessibility" and deleted the German and French keyboards, leaving only English.
So all my menus are English...almost. Menus which require the root password are still in German. Examples are Kuser and ADSL/PPPoE configuration. After thinking about this awhile, I decided that maybe if I could log in as root and then setup KDE for English, the problem would go away. In fact, this worked, but KDM doesn't allow you to login as root. So I had to disable KDM - I did this with the following command:
update-rc.d -f kdm remove
Then I could login as root, set KDE to English, logout, then log back in as a common user. Now when I run these root utilities, they are in English.
OK, it works, I'm fine. But like I said, this is messy and would blow away most Linux newbies. Should I file a bug report?

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6
$210.00
Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram
$960.00
LOT OF 4 Samsung 16GB DDR4-2666 ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 PC4-21300 M391A2K43BB1-CTDQ
$469.95
LOT OF 6 Samsung 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V M386A8K40BM2-CTD6Q Server RAM
$1799.99
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
Lot of 3~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 4DRx4 PC4-2666V-LE2 Server RAM Memory DDR4
$600.00
Lot of 2~BAD~NON-WORKING Micron 64GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y-RB3 Server RAM Memory DDR4
$400.00
Micron MTA18ASF2G72XF1Z-2G9WP1ABVGD 16GB 1Rx4 NN4-2933Y DDR4 ECC NVDIMM
$74.50
LOT OF 2 SK Hynix 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA ECC HMA81GR7CJR8N-XN
$89.95