-
German menus when they should be Engish
I actually solved this problem, but the solution was very messy and I wonder if this isn't a bug.
I downloaded the English version of Knoppix, and in Grub added a "lang=us" tag. When starting KDE, also chose English as the language. Also went to "Control Center - Regional & Accessibility" and deleted the German and French keyboards, leaving only English.
So all my menus are English...almost. Menus which require the root password are still in German. Examples are Kuser and ADSL/PPPoE configuration. After thinking about this awhile, I decided that maybe if I could log in as root and then setup KDE for English, the problem would go away. In fact, this worked, but KDM doesn't allow you to login as root. So I had to disable KDM - I did this with the following command:
update-rc.d -f kdm remove
Then I could login as root, set KDE to English, logout, then log back in as a common user. Now when I run these root utilities, they are in English.
OK, it works, I'm fine. But like I said, this is messy and would blow away most Linux newbies. Should I file a bug report?
Similar Threads
-
By chaosnine in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-03-2017, 08:53 PM
-
By wroseland in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-06-2007, 02:28 PM
-
By XPuser1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-06-2007, 05:09 PM
-
By tommydl in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-24-2004, 07:57 PM
-
By daviskacer in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99