Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Got USB zip drive and floppy? Can you replicate my problem?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25

    Got USB zip drive and floppy? Can you replicate my problem?

    In a previous post I describe my problems with respect to recognizing a fat32 partition
    and a zip drive when booting using myconfig=scan.

    If you have a floppy and a usb zip drive I would be grateful if you tried replicating
    the problem so we can see if it is a bug, a feature, or a config setting and how common
    it is.

    To replicate the problem save a configuration to a linux formatted floppy, boot specifying the
    floppy--floppyconfig if I recall correctly but do check if you don't know -- with
    the zip drive plugged in, and see if the zip drive icon is on the desktop
    or otherwise accessible. I can't write to or read from the zip drive if I boot using
    myconfig=scan. It (and one of my Windows partitions that I created using QTPart)
    don't even show up on the desktop. See my previous post for the gory details.

    It would be progress to know if this is a feature of Knoppix or if there is a bug
    with respect to my hardware or my configuration.

    Thanks in advance for any help.

    Django

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    122
    what version of knoppix are you using, and what type of hardware are you using, people would need to know that before they could replicate your problem. As for Qtparted, I couldn't help you out there because I had a bad experience with it so I just use cfdis

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    25
    Thanks for the reply.

    I'm running 4.0.2 on a Presario laptop.

    I have since my last post solved the problem.

    It appears that the fstab file Knoppix creates when saving its
    configuration fixes the storage to be recognized when booting.
    So since I apparently had no disk in the zip drive when I created
    the config file and had created the fat32 partition after the config
    file Knoppix didn't make them accessible when booting with
    the myconfig=scan option.

    My perhaps awkward solution was to boot without options,
    redo all my config choices, and then save the new configuration.
    (Attempting to mount the partitions as root had not succeeded.)

    What problems did you have with QTParted? A few years ago
    I stopped experimenting with Linux for a while when discrepancies with
    block numbering between Linux and Windows almost destroyed a
    hard disk I hadn't backed up recently enough. I was able to back out
    of the situation but it left me loath to have Linux and Windows share
    a disk.

    [edited 10 June 2006: The problem appeared when I tried to resize
    the Linux partitions after their initial creation. There was no problem
    when I had just created them and used them. This was three or so
    years ago so things may be different now.

    And no reply required regarding your QTParted problems, I found
    your iniitial post.]

    Django

Similar Threads

  1. Floppy Drive problem! eek!
    By ThundaOne in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 06:00 PM
  2. im having a problem getting my floppy drive to work
    By Ghetto2k4 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 02:00 AM
  3. Floppy drive problem
    By benw in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 05:19 PM
  4. floppy and cd drive
    By stickycricket88 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 08:01 PM
  5. i don't have a floppy drive.
    By talz13 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 01:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair

$88.75



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2 picture

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2

$70.00



ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical  - USA Seller picture

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller

$29.99



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS picture

Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS

$120.00