Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Frugal-Install, need some persistant data

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2

    Frugal-Install, need some persistant data

    I've just made a frugal install of latest knoppix version to a spare disk dedicated to knoppix.
    I also made a partition for knoppix settings that I save before finishing my session.
    Unfortunately it seems some of my settings are persistant, some of them disapears after reboot.
    Though this feature is unconvinient I could handle most of them somehow.

    Most important for me how to load the sound driver at startup. I understand, my sb awe pnp soundcard is unknown for knoppix, though after boot I can load the proper driver by modprobe.

    Is it possible to make this process automatic? I mean to load the sound driver (snd-sbawe) at boot up?

    Appreciate for any help.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2
    Well, I could solve it.
    You can handle this kind of trouble easily in common debian systems: only you put the missing module into /etc/modules file and system load it during boot.

    Knoppix gives an opportunity to save its configuration to hard drive and load them during next boot.
    The trouble is that knoppix loads the saved configuration data just before loading Xwindow files (before starting runlevel 5) so it doesn't matter I put my missing driver to /etc/modules file and save it; the system has already loaded the 'modules' file from cd or cd-mirror file when my saved data files are loaded.

    Checking the possibilities I found the xsession file that can be modified and saved, even, system loads it after restoring saved data. So I modified the file putting my 'modprobe snd-sbawe' clue to one of its first lines so system load it before X starts. It proved proper at next boot: so far I have sound, volume control on tray and so on...
    I suspect it is not the perfect solution but works

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix 6.0 Frugal install or booting from ISO.
    By kagashe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 11:47 PM
  2. frugal DUPLEX install for KNOPPIX
    By utu in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 02:35 AM
  3. Calling All Frugal Hardware Users
    By dvryknopper in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 05:40 AM
  4. Poor mans Install and Persistant home
    By jaykay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2004, 04:02 PM
  5. HD install and data encryption
    By HomerCube in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 08:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit picture

TEAMGROUP T-Force Zeus 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Desktop RAM Kit

$199.99



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Lot 43 Mixed Brands Micron MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G6N1 8GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3 RAM picture

Lot 43 Mixed Brands Micron MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G6N1 8GB 2Rx8 PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3 RAM

$649.99



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



G. SKILL 32GB UDIMM 2400 MHz PC4-19200 DDR4 SDRAM Memory (F42400C15Q32GRK) picture

G. SKILL 32GB UDIMM 2400 MHz PC4-19200 DDR4 SDRAM Memory (F42400C15Q32GRK)

$150.00