Webmin is an ecellent system & software configuration tool. It is more usefull than all the games included in Knoppix.
Webmin is an ecellent system & software configuration tool. It is more usefull than all the games included in Knoppix.
It's very usefull. An excellent tool.
Why is it useful, what does it do?
Thanx,
Webmin is a remote access config system.
If you leave your pc on all the time (in such scenarios as a webserver) you can configure the system remotely.
You login (with one of the system's usernames and passwords) then you can configure the entire system. You can access everything, lilo config to cronjobs to server setup.
However, webmin would be useless on a knoppix system.
1) knoppix doesn't have proper users and anyone could access the system.
2) three quarters of all the options wouldn't help (eg. no lilo, can't reboot because rebooting needs user internvention in knoppix)
really, webmin is a great tool but not realy for knoppix but all to their own. just my 2 cents worth
Need such a thing for an knx_hdinstall'ed version I would have thought, but then in such a system there's nothing stopping you adding it yourself. Can't think why you would want a system that stays up for long periods of time running systems requiring configuration whilst running off of a CD.
BTW -> Remote access config system = ssh + vi
;>
My point exactly, although you said it better than me flibble![]()
I use webmin with Knop4 (persistent root) to run a file server for my Win__ boxen.Originally Posted by spreadthecream
super easy setup, good performance.
1. I restrict webmin access to one IP or all of 192._/24 behind the firewall
2. I can set whatever password I want for webmin and it sticks fine.
3. all I need are Samba module and SMART to check the HD weekly.
4. I don't need that much security here; I am serving Windows boxen after all
5. I can leave the server downstairs and still control SAMBA with a GUI from a windows box
6. I could config the firewall on Knoppix if I needed more security

Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS
$35.00
Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra
$120.00
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
Vintage Magnetic Peripherals MPI BR8B1A 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive 77711800 CDC
$89.66
READ - UNTESTED Apple Macintosh PowerBook 160 M4550 Vintage Laptop
$299.00
VINTAGE THINKPAD X61 TABLET 3GB RAM 240GB SSD OEM WINXP W/GOOD BATT CHARGER
$329.00
READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots
$850.00
Vintage Toshiba Satellite A Series
$250.00
Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.
$135.37
VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED
$500.00