Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: openmosix knoppix

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    This looks pretty cool. I'm looking forward to some documentation/howto's though. I'd be interested to hear feedback from people who have tried this out.

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    21
    Hi,

    I've added some documentation on http://bofh.be/clusterknoppix/doc/

    Feel free to tell me what more information/features you need.

  3. #13
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    86
    This works great. If you boot all the PC's in X, it doesn't even matter which one is the master and which one is the slave, they will each migrate processes to each other when applicable.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    dolphin,

    You absolutely rock! I really look forward to playing around with this. I'm pretty busy right now, but later in the week I hope to have some time to sit down experiment a bit. I must say however that what you have done looks awefully nice.

    I assume that it's possible to do a hdinstall of clusterknoppix as well. What a nice way this would be to centralize management and increase performance across my small home network.

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Can you put this on e/lMule? I get a "can't connect to server" message...
    (was going to ask why you don't also put up a simple bootfloppy, but hehe don't have 2.88MB floppies)

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    btw, if I see it correctly the OpenMosix patched kernels will exchange processes " no matter what". So now for some thin client clusterKnoppix bootimage? (without the gigantic RAM disk)

    I'll look a bit around if there isn't already such a distro around, kernel + X + X configure scripts. Movix seems a good point to start, just need to replace the kernel, isn't it?

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, clusterKNOPPIX is based on V3.2 20030503. Also, it's still a 690MB ISO. So what apps were deleted from the original KNOPPIX ISO?

    Regards,

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    OK, clusterKNOPPIX is based on V3.2 20030503. Also, it's still a 690MB ISO. So what apps were deleted from the original KNOPPIX ISO?

    Regards,
    Not much that I can see. GnomeMeeting is gone (but didn't work for me anyway). There is an updated kernel of course. Probably some other stuff, but it's pretty much the same.

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    I've now downloaded clusterKnoppix, via gFTP (Konqueror didn't work), and the iso MD5 checksum was correct. But when I boot the CD I get a bunch of errors (loop.o not found, etc.). And when setting up the PXE server I get the message that my network card is not configured, no matter what I do next it won't start the server. And the network card indeed doesn't work.

    Testcd tells me that there are bad md5 sums, so it's probably the (fresh) 1/2/4x CD-RW medium that gives errors. I've reburned it twice (same CD), and I'm now burning it over my older copy of 'vanilla' Knoppix at 2x, so I hope that (used) CD-RW will work.

  10. #20
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    OK, clusterKNOPPIX is based on V3.2 20030503. Also, it's still a 690MB ISO. So what apps were deleted from the original KNOPPIX ISO?

    Regards,

    - removed auctex emacs21 gettext-el tetex-base tetex-bin tetex-extra
    - added blender-2.26-3 , openmosixview,openmosix-tools, openmosix
    (info also on the website)

    I don't really see a reason to make the CD smaller, the CD can contain 700MB, so why not make fully use of it?

    I want it to be as close to a original knoppix as possible, so that you only need 1 CD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Openmosix terminal server
    By cybervet in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 11:44 PM
  2. Fixed ip-adress in Knoppix to use openmosix
    By ktheking in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 03:53 AM
  3. OpenMosix and DHCP
    By Duffin444 in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD picture

IBM System X3650 M3 Server Xeon E5620 2.4 GHz 16 GB Ram Raid M5015 No OS No HDD

$87.96